Icculus Ports Prey Game Client To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Ryan would know since it was him that was contracted to do the port for SS1 and SS2.
    Really? I thought Croteam internally worked on the linux client. I dont think ryan was involved.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      Really? I thought Croteam internally worked on the linux client. I dont think ryan was involved.
      Ryan was involved in the serious sam ports
      Part of his CV from http://icculus.org/~icculus/resume.txt
      Croteam, http://www.croteam.com/
      * Contracted to port Serious Sam: The First Encounter to Linux.
      * Contracted to port Serious Sam: The Second Encounter to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        This can be due to one of two things, either what you suppose, or that someone used DirectPlay as the network abstraction layer.
        Croteam ran into licensing issues with gamespy in SS2, their first linux beta had full multiplayer but because they didn't RTFL or PTFL on gamespy we didn't have multiplayer in later releases. 2K didn't support Croteam with that issue which is probably why Croteam dropped 2K as a publisher (and probably why we won't get a full linux client for SS2).

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          Croteam ran into licensing issues with gamespy in SS2, their first linux beta had full multiplayer but because they didn't RTFL or PTFL on gamespy we didn't have multiplayer in later releases. 2K didn't support Croteam with that issue which is probably why Croteam dropped 2K as a publisher (and probably why we won't get a full linux client for SS2).
          That would be a good explanation- probably what happened, even. In fact I'm suspicious of other projects' delays (and adding it to a list of problem items for porting projects like DirectPlay has proven to be...)- while they CLAIM Linux support on the client side, there's been at least one other title I've seen get delayed like this, over "licensing" issues with GameSpy's stuff. It should be fresh in people's mind's even.
          Last edited by Svartalf; 02 November 2008, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Damn, so gamespy is the biggest obstacle to linux native clients. We should all boycott ign's gamespy.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
              Ryan was involved in the serious sam ports
              Part of his CV from http://icculus.org/~icculus/resume.txt
              His resume mentions the first 2 serious sam games, not Serious Sam 2. I think croteam worked alone in that one.

Comment

Damn, so gamespy is the biggest obstacle to linux native clients. We should all boycott ign's gamespy.
                Not mainly... but GameSpy sucks in multiple ways... like having to make like 10 accounts until one finally works. Definitely something to avoid altogether if you have the choice.

Comment

There are pros and cons to all middleware, but remember not everyone has the resources to host and run their own master server so in that sense GameSpy can make sense.

Speaking of master server's is Prey multiplayer dead?

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    There are pros and cons to all middleware, but remember not everyone has the resources to host and run their own master server so in that sense GameSpy can make sense.

Speaking of master server's is Prey multiplayer dead?
                    I think it was dead since day 1.

Comment

His resume mentions the first 2 serious sam games, not Serious Sam 2. I think croteam worked alone in that one.
                      This is why I shouldn't post before having some form of caffiene in me.

Comment

Working...
                      X