Icculus Ports Prey Game Client To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Safedisc is not a form of DRM.Safedisc is copyprotection.

DRM requires product authentication by an authority upon use of the product. Doom3 / Quake 4 called their servers up to check if the key was valid everytime is was started up. If it wasn't it would say "Sorry invalid serial" and not run.
    Ah yea, thats right, i think in version 1.0 of both games it let you play single player and connect to 1.0 servers with no cdkey check. Starting from 1.2 in doom3 and 1.3 (i think) in quake4, the online check was done right at the begginning, and if it didnt seem valid, it'd boot you back to the desktop, no chance to do anything. Very draconian when compared to their earlier games like q3, where it didnt ask you to check until you connected, and even then sometimes it'd work without a cdkey.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      Ah yea, thats right, i think in version 1.0 of both games it let you play single player and connect to 1.0 servers with no cdkey check. Starting from 1.2 in doom3 and 1.3 (i think) in quake4, the online check was done right at the begginning, and if it didnt seem valid, it'd boot you back to the desktop, no chance to do anything. Very draconian when compared to their earlier games like q3, where it didnt ask you to check until you connected, and even then sometimes it'd work without a cdkey.
      Ya, it was a pretty weak form of DRM, most people that only wanted to play the single player would block the serial check request with iptables because if the request timed out trying to reach the server it would let you continue on without the key being authenticated.

Comment

Just got the retail version of Prey today. Now waiting for the official client release >.<

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
          Possibly 2K games are doing it as a "test the waters" with little upfront cost to them if the have the client sitting around anyway? It's an old game, so a sales jump on the foot of releasing a Linux client can be attributed in part to the client. Even if it's people buying the Windows version to play with Linux using friends, it still sales generated by having a Linux version available.
          I doubt that, 2K has already shown that they don't fully support the platform (see Serious Sam 2's lack of multiplayer), but releasing on other platforms does keep the game in the minds of gamers which can drive support for the sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            I doubt that, 2K has already shown that they don't fully support the platform (see Serious Sam 2's lack of multiplayer), but releasing on other platforms does keep the game in the minds of gamers which can drive support for the sequel.
            This can be due to one of two things, either what you suppose, or that someone used DirectPlay as the network abstraction layer.

If you use DirectPlay, you've two choices, do without multiplayer, or come up with some alternate for the port projects as there is no wireline support without using the DirectX 9c runtime libs in WINE under Linux.

This is the reason Ballistics isn't wireline compatible with the Windows version. Since everyone complained about that, it's something that a vendor has to think long and hard about. Do multiplayer and have them gripe. Don't do it and have them gripe- and not spend as much effort doing the port.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post

Serious Sam 2 does have multiplayer, it's just that barely anyone plays it. When i had SS2 installed i only saw 5-6 servers playing old boring co-op, and just one DM server which was most of the time with 0 players. And there was supposed to be a linux client for Serious sam 2. Croteam got all the way to a beta release. And suddenly they just stopped working on it, shelved it, and just dropped it. Many conspiracy theories ran amock, but none are satisfying.

Comment

And there was supposed to be a linux client for Serious sam 2. Croteam got all the way to a beta release. And suddenly they just stopped working on it, shelved it, and just dropped it. Many conspiracy theories ran amock, but none are satisfying.
                Originally posted by croteam
                As we are currently preoccupied with implementing new features to the Serious Engine 3, the linux port will be finished and shipped as soon as we catch some breath.
                Considering the understanding I had was that they were going to get back to things and finalize the SS2 Linux Client once Serious Engine 3 was more gelled. Considering that they've been a bit busy with things, I would hold them to their word for now...

Originally posted by croteam press release, regarding Serious Sam 3...
                Gamecock Media Group will publish the title, which is currently scheduled to ship in 2009 on Windows PC and specific next-gen consoles, in North America.
                They've not even FINISHED the work on the engine until recently enough to call the game ready for publishing.

[edit]
                Having said this, though, it's much like the story with UT3, really. 2K claimed they were working on it and were going to provide a Linux client two years ago, and now much silence all the same. I'm not holding my breath- but then, I wasn't holding my breath for the turn of events that we're discussing in this thread as it was unexpected by myself and an intriguing turn of events. This has been mired in things for about as long as SS2 has and was with the same publisher, if you'll remember... Who knows what precisely will happen at this point. I certainly can't say.
                Last edited by Svartalf; 01 November 2008, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Considering the understanding I had was that they were going to get back to things and finalize the SS2 Linux Client once Serious Engine 3 was more gelled. Considering that they've been a bit busy with things, I would hold them to their word for now...

They've not even FINISHED the work on the engine until recently enough to call the game ready for publishing.

[edit]
                  Having said this, though, it's much like the story with UT3, really. 2K claimed they were working on it and were going to provide a Linux client two years ago, and now much silence all the same. I'm not holding my breath- but then, I wasn't holding my breath for the turn of events that we're discussing in this thread as it was unexpected by myself and an intriguing turn of events. This has been mired in things for about as long as SS2 has and was with the same publisher, if you'll remember... Who knows what precisely will happen at this point. I certainly can't say.
                  They were working on the linux client before they started working on serious sam 3. they just dropped it completely for unknown reasons. Probably ms paid them to do so. thing is, i dont think it's coming, like in UT3's case.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    This is the reason Ballistics isn't wireline compatible with the Windows version. Since everyone complained about that, it's something that a vendor has to think long and hard about. Do multiplayer and have them gripe. Don't do it and have them gripe- and not spend as much effort doing the port.
                    There is a third option, though I don't think any studio would do this unless it represented a LOT of money: Have the network-related code re-written for the port, and "backport" that to the original game code, release the port, and a patch for the game.

I'm sure there is quite a LOT that DirectPlay may be doing as infrastructure for many developers not to want to either implement equal/similar functionality for their program only on a port (Linux or otherwise) of their program, basically implementing DirectPlay with their port... a potential snake nest of all kinds of third party licensing issues *cough*MS DX licensing*cough*, which would involve too much effort/potential third party issues; or find a work-around to DirectPlay for the ported program, and then try to incorporate that "upstream" to the original program as a patch... This has two problems: Too much effort (worthless, unless there may be a potentially beneficial side-effect, like increased revenue in large numbers, or shift away from DirectPlay altogether for future projects), the other is the ever lurking potential of openening Pandora's Box for all kinds of bugs to be introduced into an already released product, which would lead to the first reason... And most likely a mixture of the two.

Comment

They were working on the linux client before they started working on serious sam 3. they just dropped it completely for unknown reasons. Probably ms paid them to do so. thing is, i dont think it's coming, like in UT3's case.
                      Ryan would know since it was him that was contracted to do the port for SS1 and SS2.

Comment

Working...
                      X