No announcement yet.

Steam Is Now Available In Flatpak Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally, no more installing it on root level and will be easy to wipe out if needed. World has to adapt one standard so industry starts to support it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

One popular distro shouldn't have wildly different packaging and dependency resolution from a different popular distro, that seems to be more the problem. This problem is not the fault of a game developer/publisher or Steam though.... I mean they would need to test a .deb and an .rpm and something for the Arch people and .... all for the 1% of people that's it's hard enough to get them to support.

Given this, I think the situation may improve greatly in the near future with them dropping Unity/Mir/Compiz as this will move other things having to do with rendering closer to what everyone else is doing.
      Which distribution should they support? Ubuntu is not #1 on Distrowatch. It's #4. Manjaro is #3 and has similar packaging to Arch Linux. Maybe they should just officially support Manjaro and then tell you if it has a bug on Ubuntu, tough luck.

I'm sure that if Aspyr bothered to put as much time into fixing their bug as they did telling me that Fedora isn't officially supported, they could have fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronHK View Post

Which distribution should they support? Ubuntu is not #1 on Distrowatch. It's #4. Manjaro is #3 and has similar packaging to Arch Linux. Maybe they should just officially support Manjaro and then tell you if it has a bug on Ubuntu, tough luck.

I'm sure that if Aspyr bothered to put as much time into fixing their bug as they did telling me that Fedora isn't officially supported, they could have fixed it.
        One could argue the value of using Distrowatch as your sole metric.....

Regardless if you look at the top 5 distros on there you have an Arch, a rpm and 3 debs. If you go wider and look at the top 10, (so we can get Fedora in there) we have 2 Arch, 2 rpm and 6 debs. If you want to add up their HPD metric, it makes an even stronger case. They already moved the base SteamOS from Ubuntu to Debian for greater compatibility/stability I'm guessing.

You're also not keeping in mind the corporate entity part of this situation. Red Hat only officially supports RHEL, while Canonical officially supports their LTS distribution, which is the exact same as that used in Steam...

Comment

Working...
        X