Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Is Now Available In Flatpak Form

Phoronix: Steam Is Now Available In Flatpak Form

For those looking to run Steam in a more isolated/sanboxed environment, Valve's game distribution service can now be easily run in a Flatpak environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So now when we have a choice on unsupported platforms like Fedora, what is the proffered way of running steam? Performance wise? Flatpak or some native repo?

Comment

Neat, maybe with this Steam stops breaking every time and placing its crap all over my system.

Comment

Same question goes both for Flatpak and Snap packages:
        How do I know that I can trust the source?

I only tested Snap so far but it has a very suspicious taste sometimes,
        because often it is not coming from the original developers

There's been a few different groups investigating Steam in a Flatpak or Snappy environment
        So it's NOT Valve that is distributing Steam as Flatpak or Snap - it's someone else.
        So why should I trust this? How can I trust this? How do I know this is not manipulated?

When I first tried Linux I was also very suspicious about that "apt install »softwarename»" thingy
        because there is no way of confirming that I am really installing what I want to install
        However this actually is submitted by the original developers
        (after it hast been tested and verified by canonical - in case for Ubuntu)

But flatpak and snap ...
        Can I really be 100% sure this is safe and cannot be abused by someone?
        Last edited by Morbis55; 18 June 2017, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Neat, maybe with this Steam stops breaking every time and placing its crap all over my system.
          Just out of curiosity, which files is it placing all over your system, and where does it put them?

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post

I only tested Snap so far but it has a very suspicious taste sometimes,
            because often it is not coming from the original developers

So it's NOT Valve that is distributing Steam as Flatpak or Snap - it's someone else.
            So why should I trust this? How can I trust this? How do I know this is not manipulated?

When I first tried Linux I was also very suspicious about that "apt install »softwarename»" thingy
            because there is no way of confirming that I am really installing what I want to install
            However this actually is submitted by the original developers
            (after it hast been tested and verified by canonical - in case for Ubuntu)

But flatpak and snap ...
            Can I really be 100% sure this is safe and cannot be abused by someone?
            The Flatpak is being distributed by Flathub, which is run by Red Hat. Yes, Red Hat is not Valve but I'm pretty sure that Red Hat has proven themselves to be a trustworthy party after all of these years. The Flatpak package grabs all of the needed files from the Valve website, so if there's manipulation being done, then Valve themselves have manipulated Steam lol.
            Last edited by Vistaus; 18 June 2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

So I went ahead and installed it on Fedora 25. I've then tried to run a game which I've never managed to start up on any distro other than SteamOS (Full Bore) and long story short it didn't run. So the only advantage of this is that you don't have to install a bunch of 32bit libs? Meh. Pass.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                Just out of curiosity, which files is it placing all over your system, and where does it put them?
                Games place files all over in my home folder, wherever they feel like it's cool. It's for savegames or configs usually but I don't like to give proprietary applications that kind of power.

Comment

Tried it. GL is broken (radeonsi). So No way this will work. Flatpak also is in strong need of an settings dialog. Because right now it's not easily able to reach an directory outside the sandbox. And steam insode my $HOME with all the games will not fit on my 128GB SSD ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
                    Because if you download an app from flathub it was generated from config files on its github and flathub/pack is from RedHat.

But in general flatpack and snap were supposed to let you install proprietary stuff (so may or maybe not trusted) and keep it sandboxed so it can't harm your system.

And this is actually much better, as it's more likely to sandbox stuff right than most closed source providers that only care if it works or not.

FYI: packages are usually signed and apt or whatever other package manager whines loudly if you try to install unsigned packages or stuff with unknown signatures.
                    Last edited by starshipeleven; 18 June 2017, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X