Steam Client Update Has Improvements For ZFS, Streaming, Controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yzsolt View Post
    It's a joke that in 2016 the #1 PC gaming store/platform/whatever doesn't handle 4K displays (no native scaling). The GOG guys have done it already, also they have a much nicer design. Valve could put a bit more effort into enhancing Steam, really...
    Would this really change your life ?
    Mine, not.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism

Not having 2 joysticks is a insta-boner-killer for FPS touchpad doesn't do it justice especially with the outer ring being more inacurate like a deadzone.
      What? FPS games are THE reason Steam Controller was created. Sure, they have a steep learning curve but when you pass that, they are unbeatable for this type of game. I took a week to feel comfortable with mine.

Having owning one for 2 months now and let some friends try it, I can see why some people cannot adapt to it, but is more a case to succumb to the first 5 desperate minutes when you first try it, trying to use it like a analog joypad. When you finally accept it is more like a trackball in touchpad format and beginning using it as such, things go a lot more easier.

A couple days ago the batteries on mine died, so while I waited then to recharge, I started using the XBone controller I have. Then I started thinking "wow I am playing very good this game (L4D2). Maybe the Steam Controller got more hype that it deserves at FPS games". When I got the batteries back and started using it again, suddenly I feel much more free and accurate in the aiming, and the customization in the buttons I did really showed their value. I didn't looked back to the analog stick since.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        I'm not really sure why Steam Client would care about ZFS - it seems like overkill to me.
        It was more a bugfix to make it work properly when downloading/installing games onto ZFS. There was a bug with the downloader not working properly because ZFS reports abnormally large block sizes (like 128k).

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
          I hope that finally I will be able to use streaming feature from Linux to Steam Link, because with all previous versions I always saw system freeze... All works fine when host is running under Windows... I use Mesa drivers, so maybe it's a know problem, but idk.
          I've yet to figure how to get my AMD laptop to receive streams on linux. If it is on windows and I power up the gaming rig it's all 100% fine and it offers to stream games, on linux... nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
            Mine, not.
            How could you even live without proper 4k scaling in Steam UI on Linux?!!?!?1!one!

/sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              How could you even live without proper 4k scaling in Steam UI on Linux?!!?!?1!one!

/sarcasm
              I don't know. If your builtin laptop display is 3200x1800 maybe

Comment

/sarcasm
                I do not care about 4k, because I already switched to 16M for my main monitor. Yes, sixteen facking M, that's 15 360 000 x 8 640 000 pixels, biatch.

Believe me the splash screen of OpenArena is incredible at this resolution. At the moment I only have 0.3fps from my 2x Titan SLI but that's so "wow" ya know'...
                I can frag anyone (including debianxfce) at the other side of the map, if I stay close enough to my monitor, but right now I have a little headache so will not pawn ya ass now ya know'...
                Last edited by Passso; 14 December 2016, 04:38 AM. Reason: got eye problems now ya know'

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Mine, not.
                  If you'd have a 4K display, you would care about it too. There are applications which scale well, so everything is sharp and smooth, and there are others (sadly not the minority) which are supersampled by the OS, so they look like an image viewed at 2x scaling with no (a.k.a nearest) filtering. And considering that there are much more 4K users amongst Steam users than regular users, yes, this is a joke.

Comment

/sarcasm
                    If it doesn't affect you, why do you even bother with replying? At least try to be funny or something... Oh, and get yourself a HiDPI monitor, maybe you'll fall in love with the butter-smooth view too and feel some empathy for me

Comment

Originally posted by yzsolt View Post

If you'd have a 4K display, you would care about it too. There are applications which scale well, so everything is sharp and smooth, and there are others (sadly not the minority) which are supersampled by the OS, so they look like an image viewed at 2x scaling with no (a.k.a nearest) filtering. And considering that there are much more 4K users amongst Steam users than regular users, yes, this is a joke.
                      Sure 4k is superior and may become the reference in a few years, so that apps need to be compatible to it asap.
                      My point was that you use the steam menus generally less than 1mn : you switch from a 4k desktop to an upscale 1080->4k Steam interface to a game in 4k, it's ok for 99% of users.

Comment

Working...
                      X