Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Client Update Has Improvements For ZFS, Streaming, Controllers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steam Client Update Has Improvements For ZFS, Streaming, Controllers

    Phoronix: Steam Client Update Has Improvements For ZFS, Streaming, Controllers

    Besides Valve pushing out Dota 2 7.00 today, also coming out of Valve as an early Christmas present is a big update to the Steam client...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0161212-Update

  • #2
    It's a joke that in 2016 the #1 PC gaming store/platform/whatever doesn't handle 4K displays (no native scaling). The GOG guys have done it already, also they have a much nicer design. Valve could put a bit more effort into enhancing Steam, really...

    Comment


    • #3
      And it still crashes with 10bit displays...

      Comment


      • #4
        I hope that finally I will be able to use streaming feature from Linux to Steam Link, because with all previous versions I always saw system freeze... All works fine when host is running under Windows... I use Mesa drivers, so maybe it's a know problem, but idk.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by yzsolt View Post
          It's a joke that in 2016 the #1 PC gaming store/platform/whatever doesn't handle 4K displays (no native scaling). The GOG guys have done it already, also they have a much nicer design. Valve could put a bit more effort into enhancing Steam, really...
          To be fair, there is no version of the GOG client for Linux.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by yzsolt View Post
            It's a joke that in 2016 the #1 PC gaming store/platform/whatever doesn't handle 4K displays (no native scaling). The GOG guys have done it already, also they have a much nicer design. Valve could put a bit more effort into enhancing Steam, really...
            What? I use Steam Big Picture @ 4k just fine all the time, it scales from 1080p up. I am on AMD and MESA though so maybe you have nvidia and the blob is part of the problem?

            Also, even on my 60" TV in the living room it's difficult to read fonts @ 1080p resolution. Quite honestly 1366x768 is the most readable from the Sofa to the TV, 1080p is more than enough for my living room unless I'm playing like 4-5ft from the TV.

            I'm not really sure why Steam Client would care about ZFS - it seems like overkill to me.

            Also, just bought 4 Dual Shock 4 Controllers for Split Screen games on my Steam Box and it's amazing. Not a fan of Steam Controller having Xbox and Touchpad squished into one kindof-works controller. The 6 bumpers on the other hand are sweet.

            Not having 2 joysticks is a insta-boner-killer for FPS touchpad doesn't do it justice especially with the outer ring being more inacurate like a deadzone.

            Hoping to buy a 4-player split screen FPS this year and relive the golden days of Halo Parties, Golden Eye parties, etc...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nadro View Post
              I hope that finally I will be able to use streaming feature from Linux to Steam Link, because with all previous versions I always saw system freeze... All works fine when host is running under Windows... I use Mesa drivers, so maybe it's a know problem, but idk.
              I use a steam link, and it streams from linux fine for me, but I'm using an nvidia 960 card. So your video drivers are probably to blame. You may want to try the beta steam client too, I've had luck by switching in the past.

              Comment


              • #8
                I wish they would care more about compatibility of the steam client.
                Then we could close all those tickets about how to work around steam issues...
                https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/4537

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nadro View Post
                  I hope that finally I will be able to use streaming feature from Linux to Steam Link, because with all previous versions I always saw system freeze... All works fine when host is running under Windows... I use Mesa drivers, so maybe it's a know problem, but idk.
                  I am having the same problem here (Kubuntu 16.10 64 bit, Linux 4.9 rc8, mesa oibaf (i.e. "git-ish") with Radeon RX 480 and AMD FX 8370). At first I thought it could be a problem with my system but now seeing your message I think it is a wider problem. Do you know if anybody else has reported this problem on mesa or steam?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post

                    I am having the same problem here (Kubuntu 16.10 64 bit, Linux 4.9 rc8, mesa oibaf (i.e. "git-ish") with Radeon RX 480 and AMD FX 8370). At first I thought it could be a problem with my system but now seeing your message I think it is a wider problem. Do you know if anybody else has reported this problem on mesa or steam?
                    I never managed to Stream correctly from an AMD laptop based using hardware acceleration, with a NVidia one it was hard and required tweaks and third party packages but it works.

                    On the other side I can decode on this AMD laptop while streaming from NVidia or Intel based hardware so it's enough for my use.

                    (Last issue is Soma, still making a green screen...)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X