Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ETLegacy Continues Advancing Enemy Territory With OpenGL 3, OpenAL Surround Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETLegacy Continues Advancing Enemy Territory With OpenGL 3, OpenAL Surround Sound

Phoronix: ETLegacy Continues Advancing Enemy Territory With OpenGL 3, OpenAL Surround Sound

One of my favorite Linux-native games of all time would definitely be Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Wonderful memories of that excellent id Tech 3 game and back when I had time to game on Linux, when not being challenged by early Linux GPU driver issues. This game continues to live on via the community ETLegacy open-source project and recently did issue a major update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix
    ETLegacy 2.75 has some big updates including an OpenAL sound back-end with support for up to 7.1 surround sound
    I miss in Linux a project of hardware accelerated sound drivers.

Comment

I wish someone would do an art asset overhaul of all these great native games. They always seem to modernise the engines but the gamedata looks like it did in 1999.

Comment

Yeah, probably people tend to forget those io games since valveisation of linux

But those keep updating fine

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post

I miss in Linux a project of hardware accelerated sound drivers.
          Most home systems not made for professional audio work these days don't even have dedicated sound cards, it's all on the main board. Your accelerated drivers for that platform already exist though, they are the SIMD backends of the software mixers (OpenAL has them).

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post

Most home systems not made for professional audio work these days don't even have dedicated sound cards, it's all on the main board. Your accelerated drivers for that platform already exist though, they are the SIMD backends of the software mixers (OpenAL has them).
            Well.

I was thinking in audio processor doing the audio tasks, like Live!, Audigy and X-FI does on Windows.

The SIMD backends may be good, but it is as if we compare a graphics software rasterizer and an accelerated one.

Comment

Working...
            X