Some Quick Basic Gaming Tests With Wine/Wine-Staging vs. Linux vs. Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to see some nine test too.
    I don't get it, why didn't you use one of the open-source drivers most redeeming features?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I really wish wine devs would dedicate all their resources on implementing gallium instead of their current openGL conversion, and using the actual .net framework (now that it's actually open-sourced). Doing so would not only improve performance and stability but I would think it'd make many bronze or silver rated games to become gold rated. You could also consider the fact that the devs could then have the time focus on fixing other unrealted problems.

But, I understand that Mac is the real problem here. I don't think Mac has gallium support, though I could be wrong about that.
      Most of the paid devs are working on Mac support, and most of the linux devs are working on NVidia proprietary driver support.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

+1 to that

Edit: Please include cpu usage as well, as the translation layer should be increasing CPU use.
        yes gallium nine test are interesting but in my case most games freeze the system after some minutes with amd r9 270x and oibaf or padoka ppa.I don't know why.

Comment

Nice one Michael! I have noticed that some titles in the past ran better under Wine than their native ports, so this is really great to look at and point fingers.

I too would love to see the Gallium on Nine comparison, as I know in my experience it's much better than wine-staging. But having said that, with D3D 10 and 11 support gradually getting better under Wine, maybe Nine won't be quite as interesting as it is currently.

Comment

For me gallium nine is also interesting. Used it for a long Time now (except World of Tanks (64Bit) has since Mesa 11/Kernel 4.6 a regression and didn't Work anymore still searching for the wrong part :-( ) But most other Games works much faster with nine than CSMT and much less CPU load.

Comment

I really wish wine devs would dedicate all their resources on implementing gallium instead of their current openGL conversion
              you wish people would stop buying nvidia and apple hardware? me too

Comment

I really wish wine devs would dedicate all their resources on implementing gallium instead of their current openGL conversion, and using the actual .net framework (now that it's actually open-sourced). Doing so would not only improve performance and stability but I would think it'd make many bronze or silver rated games to become gold rated. You could also consider the fact that the devs could then have the time focus on fixing other unrealted problems.

But, I understand that Mac is the real problem here. I don't think Mac has gallium support, though I could be wrong about that.
                Mac isn't really the biggest problem but nvidia. Even though AMD gets a lot of attention these days, still nvidia has almost all the linux gaming market share. The feature being put into stable wine would still mean that most users can't use it. (Those games that would run on nouveau + nine without reclocking will just run better with dx->ogl translation, using closed drivers.)

Comment

You didn't note that the Windows version in Wine will be using and older DX9 render path, the Linux version uses newer (more hardware taxing) graphical features.

Comment

^ since I can't edit my comment: This is important, as the Wine/Linux native tests are essentially using different versions of the same game. So the results are skewed because of that.

Something important I feel should really have been noted.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                      So the results are skewed because of that.
                      Results skewed because of Phoronix.
                      It's joke and true at the same time for a long time.

Why do they like to measure soft and finger at the same time - who knows.

Comment

Working...
                      X