Some Quick Basic Gaming Tests With Wine/Wine-Staging vs. Linux vs. Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I really wish wine devs would dedicate all their resources on implementing gallium instead of their current openGL conversion, and using the actual .net framework (now that it's actually open-sourced).

Doing so would not only improve performance and stability but I would think it'd make many bronze or silver rated games to become gold rated. You could also consider the fact that the devs could then have the time focus on fixing other unrealted problems.

But, I understand that Mac is the real problem here. I don't think Mac has gallium support, though I could be wrong about that.
    Wine devs dont have any interest in double implementation for various reasons, one of this is supports is others os case macos (crossover)

Another reason stay in actual development works in all hardware with all type of drivers (opensource - closed)

But nine still can make fork for prevent more problems in future because wine develepment go in other direction

Comment

Originally posted by monte84 View Post

I second this. I have been using gallium-nine to play through the STALKER games. The performance increase over CSMT is quite dramatic, in my experience.
      So you know what to expect. Just add +10fps for CSMT and +15fps for gallium-nine to last result.
      But yes, I would like to see real results.

Comment

I really wish wine devs would dedicate all their resources on implementing gallium instead of their current openGL conversion, and using the actual .net framework (now that it's actually open-sourced).

Doing so would not only improve performance and stability but I would think it'd make many bronze or silver rated games to become gold rated.

You could also consider the fact that the devs could then have the time focus on fixing other unrealted problems.

But, I understand that Mac is the real problem here. I don't think Mac has gallium support, though I could be wrong about that.
        Wine devs dont have any interest in double implementation for various resons once of them stay in mac support (crossover) and other in wine in this time wine actual implementation works in other os supported in all type of drivers (opensource - propietary)

But maybe nine can make fork of wine

Comment

I really wish wine devs would dedicate all their resources on implementing gallium instead of their current openGL conversion, and using the actual .net framework (now that it's actually open-sourced). Doing so would not only improve performance and stability but I would think it'd make many bronze or silver rated games to become gold rated. You could also consider the fact that the devs could then have the time focus on fixing other unrealted problems.

Well Mac users aren't exactly a small group of users. Especially with crossover being the main profit driver of wine, it's very unlikely that main wine developers will focus on gallium. As covered by Phoronix about a year ago, a prominent developer, Stefan Dösinger, has already come out about not wanting it to merge the patchset into wine, so there's likely some politics stopping some of the development already.

I'm not sure of the current status of it, but last time I checked it was basically at "will not fix". Even fedora seems to have abandoned their plans, likely due to upstream rejecting these patches.

Comment

Doing so would not only improve performance and stability but I would think it'd make many bronze or silver rated games to become gold rated.

You could also consider the fact that the devs could then have the time focus on fixing other unrealted problems.

Wine devs dont have any interest in double implementation for various resons once of them stay in mac support (crossover) and other in wine in this time wine actual implementation works in other os supported in all type of drivers (opensource - propietary)

But maybe nine can make fork of wine

Comment

@Michael

Time delay in put messages??

My post appears two times because send but not appear anything

Please deleted repeated message

Almost forget edit button dont appear????

Comment

Of course they don't have it. macOS (OS X) doesn't have Mesa and therefore it doesn't have Gallium3D at all. Also, Nvidia proprietary users and Intel users don't have Gallium Nine. Gallium Nine is limited to Radeon cards and Nouveau, but I think it's interesting despite it's limitations. I definitely should try it some day.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
                  @Michael

Time delay in put messages??

My post appears two times because send but not appear anything

Please deleted repeated message

Almost forget edit button dont appear????

I take that you must have missed this:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

It's not that bad, it looks promising.

Comment

I'd also like to see some nine tests

Comment

Working...
                      X