The Relative Windows vs. Linux Performance For NVIDIA, Intel & AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

The mere fact that we have three suppliers of video cards and three ways to install video drivers makes the Linux desktop more confusing to use than Windows.
    Everything about the Linux desktop is inconsistent. And yes, it gets better and better and more stable. Until someone decides there's too much legacy code and starts rewriting it (almost) from scratch. What the end user wants instead is something more like OS X - stable (in looks and functionality), no matter what goes on in the back end.
    Personally, I understand and appreciate that Linux is supposed to be a whole different animal. Otherwise I wouldn't lash out at debianxfce whenever he tells us "there can be only one".
    What makes Linux great for us, tech users, is also what keeps it away from the masses. I don't see that changing.

totex71 Perhaps you're not familiar with Restore Points. Also, this is not about what I think, it's about what the average user thinks. And what they think is: https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=0
    How does that have anything to do with what the average user thinks when the average user don't get to choose which operating system is gonna be pre isntalled on their computer when they buy it?. The average user dosen't know there is something better out there so they get used to live with a buggy and slow operating system and then thinks thats how computers are supposed to work.
    Its not like they want windows, they simply just don't know there is free alternatives that works alot better.
    I can imagine as an "average user" what its like seeing the price tag on windows and thinking for that price something thats free like linux can't be that good. But it is and people just need to understand. But that quiet difficult when you have manipulating companies like microsoft who will pay every single vendor to have their shit pre installed.

Comment

Why is everyone always so eager to speak in behalf of this "Average User"? Who is that guy anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post

How does that have anything to do with what the average user thinks when the average user don't get to choose which operating system is gonna be pre isntalled on their computer when they buy it?. The average user dosen't know there is something better out there so they get used to live with a buggy and slow operating system and then thinks thats how computers are supposed to work.
        Its not like they want windows, they simply just don't know there is free alternatives that works alot better.
        I can imagine as an "average user" what its like seeing the price tag on windows and thinking for that price something thats free like linux can't be that good. But it is and people just need to understand. But that quiet difficult when you have manipulating companies like microsoft who will pay every single vendor to have their shit pre installed.

This is going nowhere. There are computers sold with Linux. They're not selling like hot cakes.

Comment

This is going nowhere. There are computers sold with Linux. They're not selling like hot cakes.
          Though the computers which are selling the most like hot cakes tend to be sold with iOS or Android. One is a distant relative of BSD, the other is a Linux kernel with a peculiar user space.

So yeah, GNU/Linux isn't selling like hot cakes. But the Linux kernel *is*, and second hotest is also running some UNIX.

Comment

Hi Michael, thanks for the recent benchmarking series - much appreciated from a premium subscriber!
            Looking forward to the RX480 articles.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

Though the computers which are selling the most like hot cakes tend to be sold with iOS or Android. One is a distant relative of BSD, the other is a Linux kernel with a peculiar user space.

So yeah, GNU/Linux isn't selling like hot cakes. But the Linux kernel *is*, and second hotest is also running some UNIX.
              And that's totally relevant when we're discussing desktops.

Comment

Where? sure there is webshops but have you ever seen a computer store in a city with linux on them? Why would a store put linux on their pc's when they can get more money from microsoft for advertising and promoting their products instead? If i want a computer with linux pre installed i have to order it from another country and then im gonna be unable to use it for typing unless i can replace the keyboard with one from my own country.. It's really not that difficult to understand why the situations is like it is. Money speaks louder than quality.
                Its not just for fun that almost every single pc sold comes with a windows sticker on it,
                Its pure marketing tricks that makes people think windows is worth it.

Edit: Also if you buy a new laptop in my country and it stops working and you have removed windows from it. Guess what? no replacement for you until you buy a new windows copy from the store itself for over 150$. They wont take it back if its not in the exact condition it was "software wise" when you booted it up for the first time. which is the exact reason i stopped buying laptops or any kind of hardware that i can't repair myself. They don't exactly make it easy for you if you want to keep ur warranty do they?...
                Last edited by totex71; 27 June 2016, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post

Edit: Also if you buy a new laptop in my country and it stops working and you have removed windows from it. Guess what? no replacement for you until you buy a new windows copy from the store itself for over 150$. They wont take it back if its not in the exact condition it was "software wise" when you booted it up for the first time. which is the exact reason i stopped buying laptops or any kind of hardware that i can't repair myself. They don't exactly make it easy for you if you want to keep ur warranty do they?...
                  That should be much easier these days. Windows 8 and 10 both save the serial and license information in EFI, aka the BIOS. So you can download a copy of Windows from Microsoft, run the installer and it will load up a fresh Windows install and authenticate it.

I suppose you may still have an issue if the retailer wants the device to have *exactly* the OEM Windows install with all of the crapware included. OEMs might have restore image downloads available too.

Or of course if you thought ahead you would have made a Windows system restore image after getting the machine and before wiping out the Windows install. Or you could leave the recovery partitions on the disk instead of wiping them out.

Personally, I always leave the Windows install on mine. I just shove it into about 30 GB and ignore it. I paid for it, I may as well have it available.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                    It still boggles my mind why you would bother porting a game to linux, particularly a AAA title, and then not bother with any optimising. Surely there are some quick things they could look for to bring some of those games into the realm of passable. I wouldn't pay money for those games with such pathetic performance, and especially after seeing a certain company's resposne to such practices, I'm not holding my breath for the future, either.
                    Because optimization costs at least as much as the port itself, and I think that porter have a tiny budget...

They day Linux marketshare increase for real, you will have better ports or even native games.
                    For now, let's be happy with what we have.

By the way, don't forget that a lot of AAA Linux games are actually PS4 to XB1 to Windows to Linux port... that hurts!

Comment

Try to find one here in Europe...

Comment

Working...
                      X