The Relative Windows vs. Linux Performance For NVIDIA, Intel & AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Relative Windows vs. Linux Performance For NVIDIA, Intel & AMD

Phoronix: The Relative Windows vs. Linux Performance For NVIDIA, Intel & AMD

Following the recent Windows vs. Linux AMDGPU-PRO / RadeonSI testing, GTX 1080 Windows vs. Linux results, and yesterday's Intel Windows vs. Linux benchmarks, here is a look at all three sets of numbers when using some OpenBenchmarking.org magic to merge the data-sets and normalize the results...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Shouldn't expect any different from games using some shitty wrapper

Comment

It still boggles my mind why you would bother porting a game to linux, particularly a AAA title, and then not bother with any optimising. Surely there are some quick things they could look for to bring some of those games into the realm of passable. I wouldn't pay money for those games with such pathetic performance, and especially after seeing a certain company's resposne to such practices, I'm not holding my breath for the future, either.
      Hi

Comment

Thanks for this test. It does completely back Bridgman's statement from the Intel test:

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        In fairness, if you look at the corresponding AMD and NVidia Windows/Linux tests the pattern here seems to be as much "Linux game ports are slower" as "drivers are slower". There's enough information across those three reviews for some pretty interesting analysis.
        It's not right to always blame the drivers and hardware vendors. Linux ports are mostly bad and it's up to the publishers to get that right.

Comment

I think with the state of the Linux drivers, Michael finally can put up "Rate My Port" style articles.

This I think would be a good thing for getting the Porters to do a better job

Comment

It is a bit sad, that though Linux has much less of "HC" gamers compared to windows platform, even those occasional gamers on linux need HC gaming hardware (for decent performance). Then again, even this is much better situation compared to how it was a few years back.

Comment

Remember when Valve said that their port of L4D2 using a DX -> OGL wrapper outperformed their native DX version which had already been heavily optimized? Whatever happened to that? Did they just totally make that up?

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                It still boggles my mind why you would bother porting a game to linux, particularly a AAA title, and then not bother with any optimising. Surely there are some quick things they could look for to bring some of those games into the realm of passable. I wouldn't pay money for those games with such pathetic performance, and especially after seeing a certain company's resposne to such practices, I'm not holding my breath for the future, either.
                Well, since Linux has basically no market share in the gaming industry, they release as cheap as they can and hope for a(ny kind of) RoI.

Comment

Well i dunno whether DOTA2(Reborn) should be defined a port or not, since Valve's staff rewrote the engine to support multiple platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Remember when Valve said that their port of L4D2 using a DX -> OGL wrapper outperformed their native DX version which had already been heavily optimized? Whatever happened to that? Did they just totally make that up?
                    The process of porting flushed out performance issues in the dx backend also. The OpenGL improvements were eventually ported to dx also so they are on par these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X