No announcement yet.

Yes, There Is Vulkan Support In Doom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes as mentioned. Doom should fix wine bugs and add it to supported os like Linux/Wine 2.01 or so. With Wine Vulkan FPS should be about the same as on Windows, hence make it almost like a native app. I would prefer such than a, so called, native port that loses 50% fps like Tomb Raider.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      Vulkan is a good move for windows also, means people running older versions then windows 10 can enjoy the performance boost. I think MS kinda shot themselves in the foot by restricting DX12 to windows10. In the long run.
      No they didn't shot themselves in the the foot. As the upgrade from 7-8-8.1 is free and 'highly suggested" by daily popups now it will be forced for gamers.
      Microsoft wants everyone on Windows 10 and they will succeed faster than any OS before...

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
        Yes as mentioned. Doom should fix wine bugs and add it to supported os like Linux/Wine 2.01 or so. With Wine Vulkan FPS should be about the same as on Windows, hence make it almost like a native app. I would prefer such than a, so called, native port that loses 50% fps like Tomb Raider.
        I played on Wine for 10 years but now I refuse to buy Windows games and do so.
        This is mainly because things will never change as long as Linux is not profitable and profitable means buying Linux stamped games.
        Then we may have more and more real native games.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
          I would prefer such than a, so called, native port that loses 50% fps like Tomb Raider.
          Yes, that seems reasonable in short-term, but I have to agree with this:

Originally posted by Passso View Post
          I played on Wine for 10 years but now I refuse to buy Windows games and do so.
          This is mainly because things will never change as long as Linux is not profitable and profitable means buying Linux stamped games.
          Then we may have more and more real native games.
          Could we please all contact Square Enix, thank for the Tomb Raider 2013 port but tell them we already bought and played on Windows (if this applies to you, too, of course). Then wish a Vulkan port for ROTTR. I have not bought that yet, and even if I don't buy games soon after release, I would pay the full price if a decent Vulkan Linux port was available.
          This game has an optional D3D12 renderer, porting to Vulkan is said to be easier than D3D11 -> OGL.
          However, I don't know how much MS bought themselves into this as the game is timed exclusive for Xbox (360, one) and PC, hit the MS store on Windows 10 and of course uses DX12.

Comment

Vulkan is just a modern, low overhead API just like the DX12, but has a significant advantage over DX12 as DX12 works only on Windows 10 (not even on older version), thus the Windows 7-8.1 users can benefit too. I think that this is the good sign that someone uses Vulkan and not force you to install Windows 10 to get the DX12 version running.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
              If you are developing a windows only application you may also use Vulkan, it's not that mind-boggling.
              That's not the mind-boggling part of it. Honestly, the Win32 API, so everything about Windows you'd care about as a developer that isn't DirectX is really just a piece of crap. Why else do you think certain applications actually run better in Wine than they do in Windows? Why is a reverse engineered implementation of the Win API faster than its native version?

My point being -- Given the fact Doom apparently only uses crossplatform graphics APIs leaves extremely little reason to limit to just Windows. Extremely little. In fact, I can't think of anything. Unless it's going to be released via some Windows-only portal.

Originally posted by Passso
              As the upgrade from 7-8-8.1 is free
              Actually, not for much longer. http://www.winbeta.org/news/get-wind...ree-offer-ends

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                However as far as I know id has never officially released any of their games on Linux despite moving straight to OpenGL from their original software renderer and staying there.
                The official Beta for Quake 3 was even released for Linux first and later for Windows. And there was an official Linux version of the released game, too.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  However as far as I know id has never officially released any of their games on Linux despite moving straight to OpenGL from their original software renderer and staying there.
                  Actually they did release a lot of their games on linux, including: Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Doom 3, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and others. Not only that, but they released the source code to their engines a few years after the original release. They don't do that anymore though.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

Actually they did release a lot of their games on linux, including: Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Doom 3, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and others. Not only that, but they released the source code to their engines a few years after the original release. They don't do that anymore though.
                    They did it but those Linux versions where not available in stores... Furthermore I could not even buy them online in Europe.

Distribution was a huge trap in those times but if they try again it could be profitable now.

Comment

I would prefer such than a, so called, native port that loses 50% fps like Tomb Raider.
                      Tomb Raider loses FPS because the D3D -> OpenGL transition failed horribly. I mean, make and examine an apitrace of Tomb Raider, Feral doesn't even use VAOs and sets up a new vertex format for every single draw call. Of course that's slow.

Doom is a native OpenGL/Vk game, though, no reason to expect a 50% FPS hit.

Comment

Working...
                      X