Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, There Is Vulkan Support In Doom

Phoronix: Yes, There Is Vulkan Support In Doom

At Friday's NVIDIA Dreamhack event there was another exciting showcase besides the incredible GeForce GTX 1080: there was the first demo of id Software's forthcoming Doom game running with the Vulkan API...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ulkan-For-Doom

That doesn't mean a Linux port exists. It only means that this game may run well under Wine, but I know a lot of Windows OpenGL applications which don't work under Wine at all, so don't set your hopes high.

Comment

So they have a Vulkan version but no intention to support Linux / SteamOS.

Dafuq?

Comment

Michael Doom doesn't have a Direct3D renderer. It's OpenGL and now Vulkan. Can you correct the article?

Comment

Originally posted by godlike_panos View Post
          Michael Doom doesn't have a Direct3D renderer. It's OpenGL and now Vulkan. Can you correct the article?
          What API will it use for the xbone? no DX11 or DX12?

Comment

I don't understand what is the point in confronting capped unspecified api's fps vs uncapped's fps with Vulkan. Don't get me wrong It's a great card and nothing against Vulkan, but it's like confronting a car in second gear vs a car in the fifth gear, in with case it goes faster?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Dafuq?

I agree, dafuq? I guess they simply wanted to use the API but not actually make the port. Maybe someone else here could explain/guess at their rationale?

Comment

Dafuq?
                The point of Vulkan is performance, being a multiplatform API is just one of the advantages. On the other hand, if they want to port to other platforms, the default OpenGL (is it?) renderer could do fine.

Comment

the default OpenGL (is it?) renderer could do fine.
                  It is. Looking forward to trying the game with Vulkan.

Comment

Dafuq?
                    Originally posted by drohm View Post
                    I agree, dafuq? I guess they simply wanted to use the API but not actually make the port. Maybe someone else here could explain/guess at their rationale?
                    Vulkan does not exist for the sole purpose of creating Linux applications.
                    If you are developing a windows only application you may also use Vulkan, it's not that mind-boggling.
                    Last edited by humbug; 05-09-2016, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X