No announcement yet.

RadeonSI / AMD GCN Is Actually The Mesa 11.2 Requirement For Tomb Raider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That makes much more sense especially with Mesa not having OpenGL 4 support for the HD 5770.
    For Tomb Raider needs fp64!? Everything else have from OpenGL 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Min1123 View Post
      I'm wondering if they ported TressFX,..
      TressFX is certainly an interesting thing to see on Linux, but it was a absolute performance killer, even on Windows. On my 7970 it pretty much halved the framerate.

On another note, I seem to remember Eidos having insane sales targets for this game. Wouldn't it be funny if the sales from the Linux port actually tipped them over the edge of hitting those targets all these years later, the thought makes me smile, however unlikely.

Comment

Aww, sad, and I had thought I might nearly be able to run it on my old card (was wondering how that was going to happen anyway). But sooner or later I'll probably have to update my box. Or maybe the pre-radeonSI part receives full OpenGL 4+ compatibility. Which ever comes first.

On TressFX: Well, maybe it would be a good opportunity if that part was ported (is there much to port in terms of OS dependency about this code?) to give it an overhaul and check for obstacles that cause performance drops.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
          Wow, do you have the source for that?
          I think the OSX port didn't have TressFX.
          two sources for that. their preview gamecast on April 1st (look up on linux_gaming reddit) and facebook where they specify really funny fact. in order to use TressFX you have to have NVidia card

Comment

April 1st is a bad date to release any important info...
            And wasn't TressFX AMD tech? And then you need the NV+blob to run it in Linux?
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Is there any chance that HairWorks (NVidia) and TressFX (AMD) are being mixed up here ?

Last edited by bridgman; 19 April 2016, 04:26 PM. Reason: Added cartoon from Bits & Chips
              Test signature

Comment

I think I'm starting to like AMD now. I guess these game makers talk with NVIDIA or AMD before launching a game, to decide what should the minimum requirement and all ? If that is the case, NVIDIA must have told those folks to ditch nouveau as they dont have any commitment for open source, and their proprietary driver shall remain the first class citizen.

On the other hand. AMD decided to go open, and hence they are ditching their own proprietary driver and are recommending the open option?

What are your thoughts folks ? Should I start to like AMD ?

Comment

Originally posted by jayaura View Post
                  I think I'm starting to like AMD now.
                  What are your thoughts folks ? Should I start to like AMD ?
                  Yes, please. AMD is the underdog fighting an uphill battle. My sympathy is with them.

Comment

Working...
                  X