No announcement yet.

Epic Games' Tim Sweeney Is Warning Of Microsoft's Closed Gaming Ecosystem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you think this move by MS will help convince developers to move to Linux/Vulkan/Name-your-preferred-platform-here you are living in a movie: MS will make sure that the effort required to port all those polished DirectX engines to those alternative APIs will cost more than just paying MS whatever they want, and you know developers are in it for the money, just as it was easier and cheaper to develop for DirectX, MS will make sure it is easier and cheaper to use their app store, and the less said about gamers dictating what platform games will be released on - the better. I would add another reason, to make sure you readers have no doubt: Linux is broken in too many ways for any developer to consider it as a platform, in terms of both effort and cost, to develop for it, the unlimited resources available at MS disposal to guarantee their appeal to developers are unmatched by Linux and it's community's ability. this is not what you wanted to hear but it's the truth, and unfortunately no one is in a position to do anything about it - individuals and corporations alike. MS force/control developers, developers force/control gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      It is my understanding that Microsoft has actually opened up their Windows store related technology since 8.1.

For example, developers do not need to rent a 30 day developer license to develop / test apps and users can now enable side loading with any version of Windows 10 without a special enterprise key or connecting to some domain server bollocks. This means that I can sell Windows 10 apps from my own website.

To be fair, it is very unlikely Windows will drop support for "standard" (I refuse to call them legacy because they are far superior to app store apps) applications but they might charge for it on a subscription based manner (Think paid for "Desktop" app that you buy from the store). Does anyone see any problem with this? I personally don't. After all Windows is *not* free. Linux and *BSD *are* free, so no change there then.

Fools cant simply tie themselves to a expensive proprietary OS *AND* bitch about it. They can just sod off frankly and get off my internet
      Windows store is quite a worry. I feel like it's a hack job attempt from Microsoft to try force DRM upon the pc master race.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
        Windows store is quite a worry. I feel like it's a hack job attempt from Microsoft to try force DRM upon the pc pirate master race.
        fixed

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          fixed
          To give an example of games that require me to be online, Mass effect 2 and 3. The game needs to be logged in to play the DLC. Features like this make gamers want to destroy the DRM just to make the damn thing work. No internet = no games. And then EA wonder why people resort to piracy. Pretty simple EA. They damaged their PR when EA started forcing paying customers to go through hoops just to play a video game. Gamers get really tired of this historical fact repeating itself. Which is why I think indie companies are doing so well at the moment, and why Unity seems to also be doing so well.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
            To give an example of games that require me to be online, Mass effect 2 and 3. The game needs to be logged in to play the DLC. Features like this make gamers want to destroy the DRM just to make the damn thing work. No internet = no games. And then EA wonder why people resort to piracy. Pretty simple EA. They damaged their PR when EA started forcing paying customers to go through hoops just to play a video game. Gamers get really tired of this historical fact repeating itself. Which is why I think indie companies are doing so well at the moment, and why Unity seems to also be doing so well.
            Resorting to piracy is still a win for EA.
            Boycott = not buy and NOT use. That is what hurts them.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Resorting to piracy is still a win for EA.
              Boycott = not buy and NOT use. That is what hurts them.
              I love the game(s) too much. I had Me1 and 2 gifted to me but then loved them so much I bought me3 and Andromeda. This is coming from someone that hates DRM. Origin is so clunky and unusable. It makes me realise that if steam died tomorrow, all hell would break lose in the gaming community. The very thing we hate, we're starting to become normalised to. DRM is now just a commodity and seemingly accepted by the masses. But yeah I totally agree with you, don't use something if you don't like it.

Comment

Working...
              X