No announcement yet.

Amazon Publishes A Free, Source-Access AAA Game Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared source is still better than nothing. It lets you audit the security of the code, and possibly write compatible reimplementations of its APIs in countries that have sane IP laws.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

No, this is not Open Source, of which I only accept the OSI definition. This is Shared Source (originally conceived at Microsoft). Shared Source is access to the source code, but with licensing conditions that restrict you in what you can do with the code and it certainly isn't share and share alike.
      No offense but your definition of open source doesn't bear much meaning. Lumberyard is open source whether you think so or not, but it's open source with caveats. Sames goes for Firefox. It wouldn't surprise me if some day there is a fully open source alternative to Lumberyard (maybe called Woodchipper?).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        No offense but your definition of open source doesn't bear much meaning. Lumberyard is open source whether you think so or not, but it's open source with caveats. Sames goes for Firefox. It wouldn't surprise me if some day there is a fully open source alternative to Lumberyard (maybe called Woodchipper?).
        your definition is bullshit. lumberyard is shared source. firefox is opensource.
        you wouldn't be showing your stupidity next time if you check first paragraph of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
          Code:
          Q. Is Lumberyard “open source”?
          Code:
          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=HelveticaNeueLight]No. We make the source code available to enable you to fully customize your game, but your rights are limited by the [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="https://aws.amazon.com/service-terms/"]Lumberyard Service Terms[/URL][COLOR=#333333][FONT=HelveticaNeueLight]. For example, you may not publicly release the Lumberyard engine source code, or use it to release your own game engine.[/FONT][/COLOR]
          So it's basically like UE4? I guess I got excited a little too soon. Still, it could be a good engine anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            That announcement scares me a little.
            Here we have a brand new (supposedly AAA) game engine, yet there's almost no talk about its technical virtues. Nothing about lighting, texturing, tesselation, scene size. The technical aspect is: it's cloud-connected and works with AWS and Twitch. I don't know how many developers were craving for that (ok Twitch may be useful to some).
            Oh and there's no mention of Linux in the official announcement. But it does say that it relies on Visual C++ and Visual Studio (together with DX11), which generally means it's not Linux-friendly.
            It seems like it's based on cryengine just without all the proprietary stuff like scaleform. There's plenty of information on cryengine at http://cryengine.com/

I'm not sure what this means for cryengine though. Why pay for cryengine now?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              your definition is bullshit. lumberyard is shared source. firefox is opensource.
              you wouldn't be showing your stupidity next time if you check first paragraph of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software
              Wow, looks like someone forgot to get the sand out of his panties last night. Sure, legally, Lumberyard doesn't meet the open source definition. But, anyone has access to the engine source code, therefore, it is literally open source. You're not allowed to redistribute it, which is what separates it from the Wikipedia definition. As for Firefox, the same thing applies - to my knowledge, you're not allowed to modify and redistribute Firefox as Firefox. That's what Iceweasel is for.

Comment

it is literally open source
                Open source is a technical term which has a precise meaning. Lumberyard is outside its definition, hence not open source. Not even "literally", whatever you mean by that.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  Open source is a technical term which has a precise meaning. Lumberyard is outside its definition, hence not open source. Not even "literally", whatever you mean by that.
                  Looking at the words "open" and "source" separately, it does literally meet the definition, because what that is saying is you are allowed to (open) view/modify the source (code), which is true. If you look at "open source" as a single non-legal term, then you can argue about semantics. When you look at "open source" as a legal term, Lumberyard explicitly does not meet the definition, even according to Amazon.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 09 February 2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

But, anyone has access to the engine source code
                    bullshit again. learn to read.
                    you may not publicly release the Lumberyard engine source code

Comment

At least with UE4 you can commit code to the official git (if I understood well).

Comment

Working...
                      X