Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Alien Isolation Linux Testing That Isn't Happening

Phoronix: The Alien Isolation Linux Testing That Isn't Happening

While I was looking forward to yesterday's Alien: Isolation for Linux release, that has all changed now. Besides the game failing with open-source drivers, not all functionality from the Windows game is there in the Linux build...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice abuse of the refund system there...

Ever thought of ya know , playing it !

Comment

This is precisely what the refund system is for. You can buy the game and return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

No need to extensively research whether it is fully compatible with your system, or whether some function you expect is there.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
        Ever thought of ya know , playing it !
        Haha, if I had the time to play computer games...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Haha, if I had the time to play computer games...
          You should make some time. An hour of playing an awesome game can heal your soul. I don't think it should be this game exactly, but there are plenty of great games available that are tons of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You should make some time. An hour of playing an awesome game can heal your soul. I don't think it should be this game exactly, but there are plenty of great games available that are tons of fun.
            Last game I think I had time to play was ET: Quake Wars when beta testing the Linux version in 2007. Since then, the only gaming I think was a few hours of CS:GO when looking for Linux/driver problems when it first rolled out.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

I hope they complete the support for it in a later release!

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                I hope they complete the support for it in a later release!
                As far as I know Feral did never update any of their ports significantly. Or is any feral port now officially supported on AMD or has a working benchmarking mode? Feral does really half-assed porting - I never suspected that - everybody said how wonderful of a job they did with mac ports, but maybe that is a myth.

Look at how VP is doing their eon ports - feral should take a close look. VP is actually updating their stuff and answer bug reports quickly all in public on github. They are working until it works across the board and also deliver benchmark-modes, e.g. bioshok infinite and dirt showdown.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  This is precisely what the refund system is for. You can buy the game and return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

No need to extensively research whether it is fully compatible with your system, or whether some function you expect is there.
                  Yep, refund was just honored by Steam! Impressed that it was done in about an hour in the early morning.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                    Feral does really half-assed porting - I never suspected that - everybody said how wonderful of a job they did with mac ports, but maybe that is a myth.

Look at how VP is doing their eon ports - feral should take a close look. VP is actually updating their stuff and answer bug reports quickly all in public on github. They are working until it works across the board and also deliver benchmark-modes, e.g. bioshok infinite and dirt showdown.
                    Well, to be fair, Feral did put out an update for Shadow of Mordor - fixed a problem with AMD Phenom CPUs. In addition, I had a problem with the "WBPlay" integration, and they ran a beta. Not sure if that patch has been pushed out to mainline yet.

That said... the benchmark tool would be really nice. One could speculate on their motives for not including it, but it's not like it's a secret that Linux performance is substantially below that for Windows for their ports. (At least with Shadow of Mordor and A:I, the ones I have. It doesn't bother me because I have hardware that can run both at framerates above what my monitor can display anyway.)

Comment

Working...
                    X