No announcement yet.

Feral Interactive Appears To Be Stepping Up Its AMD Linux Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG. I want to accelerate and dive-jump into this batch of hardware.
    For the CPUs/APUs: AMD is 2nd-best on x86, okay? They do have some really good machines in the "low end" sector, like they had the E-350 and now Kabini, in the past they were often the only one the get int_e_l going, otherwise we'd still be on overpriced Pentium1 32bit architecture. Today, at the moment, they might not win in terms of numbercrunching performance but their stuff is cheaper and it gets the job done. I am using their stuff for so many years now and I found nothing to complain.
    And they did not violently invent CPU serial numbers, remote kill switches in chipsets, the ACPI desaster, the UEFI desaster or TCPA/TPM. They did not sue harmless news forums (like dvd-inside) for their name.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

E
      Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I think this is because you're using Western/ISO 8859-1 encoding instead of UTF-8. More specific, your device sends non-breaking space encoded wrongly. Phoronix cannot look at the   sequence and magically guess what you meant to say. Not sure why you'd insert non-breaking space before and after your posts either.
      Well, maybe its related to the fact that im russian? More specifically, my device is Russian (since i live in russia), but its set to english locale since most people i talk with talk english.
      ?Anyway, i'm not adding any shit to my posts, thats why im complaining, that site is adding it, or forum engine, or whatever

Comment

Originally posted by vadimg View Post
        E
        Well, maybe its related to the fact that im russian? More specifically, my device is Russian (since i live in russia), but its set to english locale since most people i talk with talk english.
        Yes, that's probably it. Some default that Samsung has decided for you may be causing the problem.

Originally posted by vadimg View Post
        ?€‹Anyway, i'm not adding any shit to my posts, thats why im complaining, that site is adding it, or forum engine, or whatever
        Surely you can infer that if the problem only happens to you it's far more likely it's something on your own device than something wrong with this site. Not impossible, though. Do you have this problem posting on other forums? What if you send an email?
        On a PC, Wireshark would have told us where the problem lies in a few minutes, but I don't know if there's something similar for tablets/Android.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          Feral Interactive always tests the open source Gallium3D drivers so that's really no surprise. SteamOS may not have realized yet, but open source drivers are the only way forward.
          I'm sure steamOS will gladly switch to the open drivers if they become capable of running the newest openGL and outperforming the proprietary ones. For now they don't have a choice...

Comment

The open source drivers most likely won't ever catch up to the proprietary ones in OpenGL performance, because of game-specific optimisations. Vulkan should make this much less of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              The open source drivers most likely won't ever catch up to the proprietary ones in OpenGL performance, because of game-specific optimisations. Vulkan should make this much less of a problem.
              Agree about Vulkan. It puts the onus on the game dev. I think all the big new AAA games on windows / Linux will move to directX12 / Vulkan within 1-2 years. However from the next tier and down there will still probably be a lot of devs which stick with DX11 and OpenGL 4.5. In order to make their lives simpler...

Linux users have been saying for years and years that the open source driver's performance is going to surpass the closed ones... still waiting. Is there any reason that game specific optimizations cannot be done on open drivers? I know it's not the 'right way' of doing things but still.

And hypothetically if / when the open source AMD drivers surpass the closed ones; is there any motivation for AMD to keep maintaining the closed one? Will they abandon it, or do they need it in order to hide some secret sauce from Nvidia?

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                Well, if open source drivers had a proper control panel then you could at least configure your game profile by hand.
                Maybe Vulkan alleviates this, maybe DX12 is easier to translate into Vulkan. But we're years away from finding out.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Maybe Vulkan alleviates this, maybe DX12 is easier to translate into Vulkan. But we're years away from finding out.
                  We are merely months away I think.

Let's see if the Vulkan version of Dota-2 can outperform the openGL version. And be more consistent across different drivers..

Comment

Working...
                  X