Feral Interactive Appears To Be Stepping Up Its AMD Linux Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vadimg View Post
    Michael, please check your engine wrt posting from mobile, why it adds the crap? 
    ?€‹I mean that crap, symbols etc 

So far it's only happened to you. I've posted on Android, BB10, Ubuntu, Windows using:
    - Stock Android
    - Android Chrome
    - Android Firefox
    - BB10 Browser
    - Windows Firefox
    - Windows Chrome
    - Windows Edge
    - Windows IE
    - Linux Firefox
    - Linux Chrome

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
      I believe it's a Sapphire AMD R9 270X. I could be wrong.
      Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
      The only assumtion that holds is Saphire dual-X r7 250/260/265 up to max 270, the higher number have different size package.
      Agreed: Sapphire Dual-X, either an R9 270 or R9 270X.
      (Consulting product images on Newegg and elsewhere) the R9 285 and R9 3xx have different-looking robots, and the R7 265 appears to have been released after Sapphire added the slogan "Never stop evolving" below the top-right purple tab, in white text.

Comment

Feral Interactive always tests the open source Gallium3D drivers so that's really no surprise. SteamOS may not have realized yet, but open source drivers are the only way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post

I would speculate it is R9 285 dual X.
          Since it is GCN v3 and the 270/280 dual X are GCN v1 http://geizhals.de/sapphire-radeon-r...loc=at&hloc=de

Well de Format des not match. The only assumtion that holds is Saphire dual-X r7 250/260/265 up to max 270, the higher number have different size package.
          Just look at the size of the purple bubble poking in to the robot. Some start/stop differant parts of his chassis, and some bubbles are taller.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post

?

Game dev should NOT test games on different vendors?

Let's forget for now subpar Intel core count (important for DX12/Vulkan), just claiming that game dev should skipp some important vendor is silly.
            What I was getting at is that most modern x86 CPUs behave similarly. They do have slightly different strengths yes but their behavior is more predictable. Unlike GPUs where it's far more important to test for different architectures and drivers.

Comment

All of the Nvidia cards are the 900 series, so the AMD card will most likely follow suit. Most likely the R7 370

Comment

Originally posted by nranger
                That picture was exciting to me since my main gaming rig runs exactly the same mobo and processor (Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 & AMD FX-8350) and I had the same Hyper 212 EVO until I switched to an AIO liquid cooler. The Sapphire box even looks just like the R9 270 I owned for about a week before I was disgusted with games like Spec Ops: The Line barely managing 30 FPS. That card was exchanged for an Nvidia based GTX 960 (Gigabyte Windforce) which I am much happier with (proprietary drivers notwithstanding).

Even though this machine is nowhere near top of the line, it manages pretty much all modern games at 1080p on at least medium settings (and high or ultra on older games). With a little CPU and GPU overclock (the 960 was pretty easy to get 9-10% more Mhz on core and memory) I think it keeps up just fine.

Speaking of "representative hardware", the Steam Hardware Survey shows only 0.31 % of Windows users on 8 core CPUs. I think they count AMD Bulldozer/Piledriver modules as cores (making an 8350 a 4 "core). That leaves the only 8 core chips in the survey as Intel parts like the i7 5960X. That makes me question all these gaming sites that benchmark on these crazy expensive X99 Haswell-E machines.
                The hardware sites take the approach of using the fastest CPU available in order to minimize CPU bottlenecks and make it easier for them to highlight differences between different GPUs. But you're right it's not exactly representive of the user base.

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post

I bought an Amd fx 6300 cpu for less than 130 dollars. Runs all new games on high/max settings
                  Depends on what you mean by "runs". According to this, newer, more powerful CPUs from AMD are still holding back even mid-range video cards: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/i...-generation/21

and also takes me less than 6 hours to get a fully working Gentoo system compiled and running with X, sound, desktop and everything.
                  While that is most likely true, my i5-2500k does the same job faster while using less power. (If you go back one page from the one I have linked, there's a chart for multithreaded compilation.)

Would I had gotten an equal cpu from Intel I would not be able to afford my gtx 960 etc... I am so thankful that Amd makes good cheap cpu's.
                  So yes, there is definently a point in using them.
                  It's generally cheaper to build a system around an AMD CPU, but have you really bought an FX-6300 around the time GTX 960 was released? Because that CPU is almost 3 years old and the 960 was released this March.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

So far it's only happened to you. I've posted on Android, BB10, Ubuntu, Windows using:
                    - Stock Android
                    - Android Chrome
                    - Android Firefox
                    - BB10 Browser
                    - Windows Firefox
                    - Windows Chrome
                    - Windows Edge
                    - Windows IE
                    - Linux Firefox
                    - Linux Chrome
                     Really? I'm posting from a stock android on a stock galaxy tab, using a stock google chrome. I have no idea why these symbols appear, but its definitely should be fixed on that site 
                    Last edited by vadimg; 25 August 2015, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vadimg View Post
                       Really? I'm posting from a stock android on a stock galaxy tab, using a stock google chrome. I have no idea why these symbols appear, but its definitely should be fixed on that site 
                      I think this is because you're using Western/ISO 8859-1 encoding instead of UTF-8. More specific, your device sends non-breaking space encoded wrongly. Phoronix cannot look at the   sequence and magically guess what you meant to say. Not sure why you'd insert non-breaking space before and after your posts either.
                      Last edited by bug77; 25 August 2015, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X