Shadow of Mordor Released For Linux, But Only For NVIDIA Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    what steam survey has to do with majority of linux gamers?
    Unless we had a Linux-only survey, this is a quite good estimate actually. Of course the Linux gamer users may have a huge bias on hardware, making AMD surpass the amount of NVIDIA cards on their PCs. But since they buy PCs on the same stores, and as with Windows, NVIDIA has a better performance on Linux (what may influence the numbers), I believe that's not the case. Reverting 15% to 40% is not that easy.

Comment

bullshit. most people that game on linux do it on mesa amd drivers.
      The results for the June survey are now available for you to take a look at and compare with results from previous months. Many thanks to the 838 people who took the time to complete this survey!

Comment

There you have only 78% of Intel users who use opensource drivers, 13.5% proprietary and 8.5% who don't know

There are always people who think that everything is opensource because OS is opensource, even nvidia driver is opensource for them "See Da Proof that IT IS opensource - it compile something on installation!!!"

Last edited by dungeon; 31 July 2015, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brk0_0 View Post

Unless we had a Linux-only survey, this is a quite good estimate actually. Of course the Linux gamer users may have a huge bias on hardware, making AMD surpass the amount of NVIDIA cards on their PCs. But since they buy PCs on the same stores, and as with Windows, NVIDIA has a better performance on Linux (what may influence the numbers), I believe that's not the case. Reverting 15% to 40% is not that easy.
          1) survey says something only about survey participants. i didn't participate and i am linux gamer. while people who play on windows and have linux dualboot are not linux gamers.
          2) 'other's can be mesa radeons and we can have 31% vs 39%
          3) 39% is still not majority since majority is over 50%
          4) you could only make some conclusions regarding linux catalyst if you can show that amd lost significant percentage of customers to nvidia on linux compared to windows
          5) nvidia has worst performance on linux. blob is not linux driver.

Comment

survey says something only about survey participants
            This is not right at all. If that were the case, election polls would only say something about its participants. However, at least in my country, polls predict elections' results with a good precision.

while people who play on windows and have linux dualboot are not linux gamers
            While that's techinically true, that shows a problem: people prefer to game on Windows because of performance. If a game would perform well enough, these people would probably (I guess) switch to play on linux. The whole field of statistics is built on top of this kind of thing.

'other's can be mesa radeons and we can have 31% vs 39%
            Even tought this is very optimistic of you, this margin would still be hard to get wrong. Notice: this is a survey with Steam gamers. Only 1% of them have linux. How could 16% have radeon mesa?

39% is still not majority since majority is over 50%
            Very true, but I fail to see your point.

you could only make some conclusions regarding linux catalyst if you can show that amd lost significant percentage of customers to nvidia on linux compared to windows
            Not true. The conclusion I see is that there are more NVIDIA cards installed on Linux than AMD's. This is not a comparison to Windows.

nvidia has worst performance on linux. blob is not linux driver.
            I don't believe that's true. Just look how many problems users have on online foruns while trying to install proprietary drivers. Gamers like to research how to get the best of their machines, and if they do research that, they would find that the proprietary one is better. They would then install it.

On the case of this game, open source drivers don't have support to needed OpenGL features (4.2 at least, with all OpenCL hack they did on Mac version), so they weren't even an option.
            Last edited by brk0_0; 31 July 2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

@brk0_0: Don't try to argue with pal666. In his mind the nvidia blob doesn't exist. So he will be describing a world that only exists in his head, not the real world. Any attempt at discussion will therefore lead nowhere, can't argue with someone who doesn't accept reality.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                AFAIK it runs on AMD with newest catalyst, the performance is just ass.

You can't blame feral for AMD's drivers.
                And without further insight in the development process at Feral Interactive, nor can you necessarily blame AMD's drivers for the performance with Feral's ports.
                If they do all their coding and optimization on nvidia hardware + blob, test it on other vendors' gear at the last minute, then go "whoops, performance is trash, oh well release it anyway, we'll let AMD fix that later", they've basically released a TWIMTBP title without the namesake.
                Jumping to conclusions regarding FGLRX helps no-one.

Comment

Hahahahaha. I love you. You really made my day.

Comment

Originally posted by joh??n View Post
                    Steam HW survey says the following:
                    1. NVidia - 39%
                    2. Intel - 30%
                    3. Other - 16%
                    4. AMD - 15%
                    what steam survey has to do with majority of linux gamers?
                    Perhaps I was not clear enough when posting these numbers. These are harware numbers of *Steam on Linux* gamers and not overall Steam numbers. So, they represent Linux gamers hardware pretty accurately.

You seem to be in denial of reality. In addition your logic is flawed. Following your logic, does that mean when I install and play a proprietary game (a blob) on my Ubuntu machine then it is not a Linux game I'm playing?

Comment

If that were the case, election polls would only say something about its participants.
                      they do. but ppl who make polls try to get representative sample
                      While that's techinically true, that shows a problem: people prefer to game on Windows because of performance.
                      how in the hell could you reach such conclusion? maybe their favorite game just is not on linux?
                      Notice: this is a survey with Steam gamers. Only 1% of them have linux. How could 16% have radeon mesa?
                      i believe it was linux subset of survey
                      Very true, but I fail to see your point.
                      my point is that the one who said 'majority of linux gamers choose nvidia' was wrong
                      Not true. The conclusion I see is that there are more NVIDIA cards installed on Linux than AMD's. This is not a comparison to Windows.
                      wrong. there are more nvidia cards installed than amd regardless of operating system. you can't say that linux amd driver makes amd suffer unless linux amd share is worse than global amd share.
                      Just look how many problems users have on online foruns while trying to install proprietary drivers.
                      that does not make blob linux driver. just look how many gamers reboot to windows to play.
                      On the case of this game, open source drivers don't have support to needed OpenGL features (4.2 at least, with all OpenCL hack they did on Mac version), so they weren't even an option.
                      well, i have large backlog of supported games to finish, there is no reason to hurry
                      Last edited by pal666; 03 August 2015, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X