No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Drops Lower... Below 0.9%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been playing Borderlands 2 on Linux with AMD just great with high settings and 1080p. But I haven't been using the Catalyst drivers, I have been using the open source drivers. (I also have a 7950, which is about the sweet spot for OS drivers).

Anyway, ymmv. Just sharing my anecdote.

Originally posted by entropy View Post

So, I guess you're using a Nvidia GPU?

Borderlands 2 is utter crap on Linux with AMD.
    According to an Aspyr employee it's clearly an issue with AMD's Catalyst.
    AMD is informed but so far nothing changed.

Comment

The crackpot theories from people who struggle to understand statistics are funny. But i believe it is not too far fetched to imagine GTA V has played a role in the lower proportion of linux steam gamers. I wonder how are counted people who answer several times their survey on different Oses.

Comment

Originally posted by murraytony View Post
        I've been playing Borderlands 2 on Linux with AMD just great with high settings and 1080p. But I haven't been using the Catalyst drivers, I have been using the open source drivers. (I also have a 7950, which is about the sweet spot for OS drivers).

Anyway, ymmv. Just sharing my anecdote.
        HD 7970M, lowest settings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKC0p7Zol7s
        Silky smooth 24 FPS at times.
        Last edited by haagch; 05 June 2015, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Yes, altho I used to consider myself a fan of AMD but seeing how Nvidia seems to have the upper hand most of the time (performance and Game experience over all) i am now an Nvidia/Intel Guy for performance, i still recommend AMD for the Regular Joe/Jane who only does Facebook, Skype, and DOTA2.

Comment

Borderlands 2 is utter crap on Linux with AMD ... 's Catalyst
            I'm running that on an R9 270 at 1080p and occasionally the frame rate will dip briefly when entering a new area but for the most part it is solidly at the 60FPS limit of my display. That is with the open source driver, I've not tried the proprietary driver in over a year so can't comment on that.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            most linux users still dual boot
            In a thread where much of the discussion is about the accuracy of a survey a statement like that really needs evidence to back it up.

My gaming rig only runs Linux, unless the Android phone I occasionally play on when out somehow counts. I know others who either run Linux exclusively or sometimes use it to host VMs for other OSes, but am not aware of any of those people dual booting. I'm sure it happens though, and of course anecdote is not evidence.

Originally posted by haagch View Post
            HD 7970M, lowest settings ... Silky smooth 24 FPS at times
            That mobile GPU shouldn't be much slower than my desktop R9 270 so getting a fraction of the performance at lower settings suggests something is wrong. What driver are you using and when was it last updated? Perhaps the mobile GPU drivers have a bug, perhaps it is being throttled for thermal or battery issues, I don't know.

Comment

Borderlands 2 is utter crap on Linux with AMD.
              According to an Aspyr employee it's clearly an issue with AMD's Catalyst.
              AMD is informed but so far nothing changed.

So in my case, I bought Borderlands 2 to play it on Linux,
              but ended up playing it on Windows...

This is not how you convince people to use Linux for gaming.
              Yeah, it's anecdotal ... but still.

Don't know what card you are using but BL2 and TPS run sweet on mine (290x)

I will add though since the 15.5s release fps has gone from 70+ @ 1440p to 145 +

Comment

Working...
              X