Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    What about some old classics from the bronze era? Im talking about Starfleet and Star Control.
    If you want Star Control, go here

Its Star Control 2 minus a couple bits (none of which affect the game play) they couldn't use (mainly the actual name Star Control). Open source (GPL for the code and some Creative Commons variant for the data files) and readily available.

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      hmm, this is an older engine so id figure that EPIC would be willing to cut a deal. Its not like tripwire doesnt have the sourcecode already. id figure it be an upper 5 digit cost. It is unlikely however that the linux community could buy back that cost.
      Don't bet on that one. As for the cost, I'd say you're looking at a mid-to-high 5 figure cost for rights access to the game. As for the engine piece, it depends on the licensing deal they did with Epic on the engine. Typically the engine is licensed per game, meaning they can legitimately produce a Linux version of the game if they're paid up. However, this doesn't get into potential per-unit royalties that some of the licensing deals bring up. Whomever did the port might have to eat THOSE royalties- which is where some of the sticking points come from on making game ports happen. You owe money to the publisher, the studio, AND the engine or other middleware supplier.

Comment

• The list has been officially updated. The head of the thread where the list resides is linked here.

I've added a handful of games being looked into and moved the status of a couple of games. I'll leave it to you all to find out what got moved about.

Shortly I'm going to move the list to a new thread start and ask Michael Larabel to lock the thread as it's gotten QUITE big.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          The list has been officially updated. The head of the thread where the list resides is linked here.

I've added a handful of games being looked into and moved the status of a couple of games. I'll leave it to you all to find out what got moved about.

Shortly I'm going to move the list to a new thread start and ask Michael Larabel to lock the thread as it's gotten QUITE big.
          Awesome news on caster! Oh and you missed out "And Yet It Moves", which should probably be looked into, the dev's have expressed interest and it has a Mac port.

edit:
          Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
          And Yet It Moves might be a good candidate as it has a Mac port already and it from and indie dev.
          Originally posted by sobkas View Post
          Developers already stated that they want to make linux version of it. It might be difficult because they used TorqueGameBuilder. More info:
          http://andyetitmoves.net/forum/index.php?topic=33.0
          edit2: $5 for caster? Bloody hell that's cheap
          Last edited by Aradreth; 12 May 2009, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
            Awesome news on caster! Oh and you missed out "And Yet It Moves", which should probably be looked into, the dev's have expressed interest and it has a Mac port.
            Added. I've got an amazing lineup of people to go talk to now that the main piece of Caster's done. I've still got an ARM7/ES1.1 port to do (Yes, it will live on the Pandora, Beagleboard, Nokia N9XX, and likely any other Cortex A8/A9 machine with at least ES 1.1 capable hardware on the SoC...), so the work may not start right away- but I'm going to start talking with people here in the next couple of days about helping them out.

edit2: $5 for caster? Bloody hell that's cheap
            Don't forget gang, that translates into all the episodes for that. It WAS worth the $10 he was previously asking for it. He decided to sweeten the pot on the deal.

Comment

Yes, it will live on the Pandora
              If it ever comes out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                If it ever comes out.
                Heh... It's for real, it's just taking a bit longer than anyone involved ever planned. What you're seeing is the typical delays one would experience doing new product development. You just typically DON'T see it in-person like this. I know, I've been down that road many times already. Unless they plain flat run out of cash trying to get batch one out the door, they'll get there and they're still going to be worth getting as there's nothing handheld gaming centric (Wiz isn't there yet and isn't even in the same class...and none of the other prospective ones, like the N9XXX are really gaming machines- I'll have to do iPhone type UI's for it, for example...).

Right now, they're making a final push on the spit-polish for the firmware (I had to let my unit go back because work was taking too much of my time and between it, LGP stuff, and Caster, I didn't have enough bandwidth to make commitments on the kernelspace stuff like I'd hoped I would (Funny that...)) and they're waiting on the stupid parts to all kind of converge like they'd hoped they would.

Comment

Heh... It's for real, it's just taking a bit longer than anyone involved ever planned. What you're seeing is the typical delays one would experience doing new product development. You just typically DON'T see it in-person like this. I know, I've been down that road many times already. Unless they plain flat run out of cash trying to get batch one out the door, they'll get there and they're still going to be worth getting as there's nothing handheld gaming centric (Wiz isn't there yet and isn't even in the same class...and none of the other prospective ones, like the N9XXX are really gaming machines- I'll have to do iPhone type UI's for it, for example...).

Right now, they're making a final push on the spit-polish for the firmware (I had to let my unit go back because work was taking too much of my time and between it, LGP stuff, and Caster, I didn't have enough bandwidth to make commitments on the kernelspace stuff like I'd hoped I would (Funny that...)) and they're waiting on the stupid parts to all kind of converge like they'd hoped they would.
                  Oh I know all that but still I've been looking forward to the Pandora for a long long time now.
                  I do know what's involve in getting a big project out of the door I mean the aerospace industry is know for delays so

Comment

Don't forget gang, that translates into all the episodes for that. It WAS worth the $10 he was previously asking for it. He decided to sweeten the pot on the deal.
                    well it worked. Im currently purchasing.

Comment

• Oh, the list is looking interesting.

Congrats on Caster! Off I go to search for the credit card, not a good thing to misplace

Comment

Working...
                      X