Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Wrong. Unless EA wants it on that platform, you're going to see someone needing to pony up 6 figures for one of their titles. If they want it there, they'll give it to an internal studio.

As for moving it over, it's going to be about the same effort as making a D3D title move over to OpenGL. The iPhone uses ES 1.1, which is very much like OpenGL 1.4 without immediate mode and a few other things. If they make it happen for the PS3 or Mac itself, this will lower the bar considerably- so long as the game fits within the requirements.

The truth be known, anything that needs something like the PS3 or X-Box 360's hardware will have to be trimmed down at least a little (More probably a LOT...) to fit on the Pandora- and the iPhone is pathetically weak in comparison.
    Ah, but compare the number of people that have a pandora, vs. the number of people who own an iphone. hmmmm...

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      Ah, but compare the number of people that have a pandora, vs. the number of people who own an iphone. hmmmm...

Ahem... xav1r...

You're not catching what I'm trying to tell you here.

Quake 3 only really sort-of goes onto an iPhone- it needs a batch of serious mods to make it run well. Most of the things we're talking to in this discussion won't go onto an iPhone. Caster is. I'm going to help the guy doing the iPhone port make that happen. You're NOT going to get Doom3 on the iPhone, but you MIGHT see it on a Pandora, Beagleboard or a Nokia N9XX handheld once the source becomes available for the engine.

And, just because there's lots of people owning one doesn't lead to the device being able to do things (Or ports happening for it for that matter...).

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Ahem... xav1r...

You're not catching what I'm trying to tell you here.

Quake 3 only really sort-of goes onto an iPhone- it needs a batch of serious mods to make it run well. Most of the things we're talking to in this discussion won't go onto an iPhone. Caster is. I'm going to help the guy doing the iPhone port make that happen. You're NOT going to get Doom3 on the iPhone, but you MIGHT see it on a Pandora, Beagleboard or a Nokia N9XX handheld once the source becomes available for the engine.

And, just because there's lots of people owning one doesn't lead to the device being able to do things (Or ports happening for it for that matter...).
        Yes, i understand, but what i meant is that with many people owning an iphone, no matter its weaknesses, most devs will target it. Im not siding with the iphone, i dont personally like them, i'd prefer a pandora, or a beagle, but the reality is that the iphone is very popular.

BTW, did you get any progress on the compiling of game-editor?

Comment

• Games maybe yes, portings less. Simply because of the weakness of the platform. That said handy-games ( which are on weak engines if we want to use this crappy term ) are also a lot existing so that's not the problem.

Comment

BTW, did you get any progress on the compiling of game-editor?
            Not yet (sorry...), but I expect to have a bit of a window this weekend to see if I can't get a start on it and the start of something for SDL to allow it to more properly understand the concept of GLES outside of the iPhone...

Comment

Yes, i understand, but what i meant is that with many people owning an iphone, no matter its weaknesses, most devs will target it. Im not siding with the iphone, i dont personally like them, i'd prefer a pandora, or a beagle, but the reality is that the iphone is very popular.
              Heh... Thought a moment on this and I've a response to your remark...

Which do you think studios want. The handheld stuff, or the stuff that's more akin to what you'd find on an XBox or a Wii in the palm of your hand? (Both, if you think about that a bit... )

Yes, they're going to target iPhone. Unfortunately, the iPhone's OS has this goofball API to it, as opposed to a real POSIX-like one, which you'll find on MacOS X and Linux. So, while it's a pretty good presumption that you could, in theory, have a Linux version with minimal effort from a MacOS title- the same doesn't go as nicely for an iPhone.

Comment

• An update... The list has had a change made to it.

It's cool so you probably wanna go look at it.

Comment

• Caster WOOO~!

It IS Caster, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
                    Caster WOOO~!

It IS Caster, right?
                    Yes. It'll have to follow the Pandora version work because that's what Mike wants, and I'm slightly blocked this week a bit so it's been delayed a week and a half right now, but it's on it's way.

Comment

• Oh, while I'm at this...if you think you can contribute a bit of effort in inquiring against the "Looking Into" part of that list, it'd be appreciated. Also worth noting- if you can un-logjam the ones at the head of the list please try. I'm going to be mildly busy (as if I am not always that way... ) trying to fill in the obligations I'm now on the hook for at this time (and there's quite a few...thankfully I'm a bit of an insomniac...no rest for the wicked, eh?)- but I will be able to resume efforts here shortly on the rest as things settle in.

Comment

Working...
                      X