Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im seeing there's a game in the list that i hadnt seen before in it, anteus rising. That game is available at gog.com . Did you do a follow-up on the leads from gog.com for porting their game catalog ?? Last time i talked to them they seemed very friendly, and actually liked the idea of linux support.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      Im seeing there's a game in the list that i hadnt seen before in it, anteus rising. That game is available at gog.com . Did you do a follow-up on the leads from gog.com for porting their game catalog ?? Last time i talked to them they seemed very friendly, and actually liked the idea of linux support.
      I've not heard anything from them yet, but with things picking up on the other two deals I'm going to hang loose a little longer on them and get back with them in another couple of weeks.

Right now, they're using varying things including DOSBox on their stuff they're selling. Truth of the matter is, if we don't have source code access to their stuff (and we only really have Freespace/Freespace2 in hand there right at the moment...) and Interplay or the other publishers don't have it to give then we'll have to resort to commercially supported installs using WINE or DOSBox with the understanding that they track the Linux installs as Linux sales for the other stuff.

I'm not wholly happy with that answer, but if I can GET sales figures going that way and we can make the stuff work decently, I'll live with that because it'll make the case for Linux versions of newer stuff easier to make.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        I've not heard anything from them yet, but with things picking up on the other two deals I'm going to hang loose a little longer on them and get back with them in another couple of weeks.

Right now, they're using varying things including DOSBox on their stuff they're selling. Truth of the matter is, if we don't have source code access to their stuff (and we only really have Freespace/Freespace2 in hand there right at the moment...) and Interplay or the other publishers don't have it to give then we'll have to resort to commercially supported installs using WINE or DOSBox with the understanding that they track the Linux installs as Linux sales for the other stuff.

I'm not wholly happy with that answer, but if I can GET sales figures going that way and we can make the stuff work decently, I'll live with that because it'll make the case for Linux versions of newer stuff easier to make.
        Yea, good thinking, so the next move would have to be to ask interplay and/or the devs whose games they published, which were a lot. Ill try to see if i have any luck reaching Interplay.

BTW, were you referring to me in that earlier post about looking into the other games in the list? Which ones did you mean? I'll email les bird again, and erza dreichbach, i know les will reply, erza, i dont know.

BTW, what about this other game, which is old, but it was a good one in its time: Anvil of Dawn. It was an amazing RPG in the ranks of arcanum of steamworks and magik obscura. Do you think that one's feasable?

Comment

It's a 'maybe'. I wouldn't make anything further of it for now until I get a few of the projects that're in progress more done. Unless they see NO loss of cash out of this, I don't think Namco is going to go for it.

You see, Namco's NOT a nobody- they publish things like Soul Caliber and Tekken... They've been in the console business since it's earliest days.
          Namco are bigger than that, they have been making arcade games since the late 70s and created many classic titles including Pac-Man, Galaga, Galaxian, Dig Dug, Pole Position and others.

I would say we have about as much chance with Namco as we do with EA or any other large company.

Comment

• One game to investigate is an old sci-fi RPG I used to play called Sentinel Worlds: Future Magic. Great gameplay and some NICE music (IMO). Only negative is trying to play the game when you have lost the manual (it had a series of points in the game where a NPC said "see paragraph x in the manual" and you had to read it to see what the character said)

I have no clue who made it, just that it was a great game with some (IMO) great gameplay and NICE music.

Something else I would love to see again is an old puzzle game called Contraption Zack, where you played the part of a repairman in a factory and you had to go around fixing things (the puzzles came in knowing where to go and what switches to flick in what order and what buttons to press etc)

Again no clue who made it.

Also, what about The Bards Tale series, I remember my old copy having an Interplay logo IIRC (and the evidence from this thread is that Interplay are more likely to be a Yes than a No)
            I would suggest Lemmings but that game seems to have been swollowed up by the same guys who made that table tennis game and that school bullying title (Rockstar or something)

Just throwing out the names of some fun titles I used to play, maybe someone here knows who actually holds the rights to these things nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonwil View Post
              One game to investigate is an old sci-fi RPG I used to play called Sentinel Worlds: Future Magic. Great gameplay and some NICE music (IMO). Only negative is trying to play the game when you have lost the manual (it had a series of points in the game where a NPC said "see paragraph x in the manual" and you had to read it to see what the character said)

I have no clue who made it, just that it was a great game with some (IMO) great gameplay and NICE music.

Something else I would love to see again is an old puzzle game called Contraption Zack, where you played the part of a repairman in a factory and you had to go around fixing things (the puzzles came in knowing where to go and what switches to flick in what order and what buttons to press etc)

Again no clue who made it.

Also, what about The Bards Tale series, I remember my old copy having an Interplay logo IIRC (and the evidence from this thread is that Interplay are more likely to be a Yes than a No)
              I would suggest Lemmings but that game seems to have been swollowed up by the same guys who made that table tennis game and that school bullying title (Rockstar or something)

Just throwing out the names of some fun titles I used to play, maybe someone here knows who actually holds the rights to these things nowadays.
              I dont know about the other ones, but I think the Bard's Tale games are owned by EA. So it's probably a dead end.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                I dont know about the other ones, but I think the Bard's Tale games are owned by EA. So it's probably a dead end.
                Yeah, a check with google confirms it. These games were obviously made back before Interplay started publishing their own titles.

Still no clue on the space RPG but Contraption Zack was produced by The Software Toolworks and Mindscape. Who owns those names these days? Seems the same mob wrote the original Chessmaster games too btw.

In any case I suspect these games are so old that source may well be lost.

Who owns the rights to the Incredible Machine series? I cant find any info other than a reference to a company called Dynamix who no longer exist. I suspect that Dynamix got swallowed up by one of the large companies listed on the "come back when you have big $$$" list

EDIT: I found out that its owned by public enemy #1 (Sierra-On Line aka Activision Blizzard) so we can forget about that title. (I reckon that only Microsoft is more linux unfriendly)
                Last edited by jonwil; 12 February 2009, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonwil View Post
                  Namco are bigger than that, they have been making arcade games since the late 70s and created many classic titles including Pac-Man, Galaga, Galaxian, Dig Dug, Pole Position and others.

I would say we have about as much chance with Namco as we do with EA or any other large company.
                  I do believe I mentioned that they'd been in the Console space since it's earliest days- I just mentioned their latest titles...

Comment

I do believe I mentioned that they'd been in the Console space since it's earliest days- I just mentioned their latest titles...
                    They've been around for years, back when the company was called Namicot, I think.

But yeah, the chances of that are as close to crap as EA is (but hey, EA at least has a MoH Linux client under its belt, though they refuse to acknowledge it).

Comment

• Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                      They've been around for years, back when the company was called Namicot, I think.

But yeah, the chances of that are as close to crap as EA is (but hey, EA at least has a MoH Linux client under its belt, though they refuse to acknowledge it).
                      EA also has an old lokigames port of Simcity 3000 Unlimited or doesn't that count? (I am not counting the bastardized WINE version of The Sims Transgaming did back in the day)

Comment

Working...
                      X