Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is not the problem. The main problem is what kernel your game runs on. Some distros are behind the times and still run 24 type kernels while recent distros run 26 type kernels. This influences also what soft is on those distros ( as they tend to be older or newer too ). One major problem is GCC and stdlib. If you statically link a binary ( anyways a bad thing to do in Linux world ) then it is quickly possible your binary does not run on recent or older systems ( missing libraries ). Then things like back-binary hacks have to be done which uglifies the system of users. The same happens with 64bit systems. Granted mostly any 64bit distro includes the 32bit compat layer but still troubles can happen if you try to run 32bit on 64bit machines. Another reason why precompiled binaries are a headache on Linux ( and on Windows, just in a lesser extend ). So no, it's quite something else. If they would churn out a source release of their soft then this is not a problem since any distro can compile it the way it fits optimally. Using binaries you produce hell yourself already... and unfortunately game devers tend to churn out binaries... and then troubles come... and then Linux clients are abandonend. That's the way it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
      Freedom Fighters isn't likely to get a port due to EA as mentioned. I do wonder though if we try a Linux test on EA by e-mailing them and asking if they have Medal of Honor Allied Assault on Linux. If EA truly knows Linux exists, they'll say 'Yes' we do and perhaps point you to a link. Otherwise, they'll say we haven't ported it, in which case, we know they are lying or simply don't know. lol.

Waste of time, but I'm curious to see what sort of response if any. haha.
      I wrote them (Electronic Arts) an e-mail about the existence of a Linux client for MEDAL OF HONOR: ALLIED ASSAULT and here's what I found out...

My original message:

Hello,

My Linux friends and I have been looking for a FPS to enjoy online and also with a singleplayer campaign. Last I heard, MEDAL OF HONOR: ALLIED ASSAULT has a Linux installer. However, I have been searching around for a few days but somehow I can not seem to find it. So before actually going over to buy a copy of the game for each one of us I would like to ask you if you could point me out to the right place?

Thanks in advance
      xxxxxx
      The reply:

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

The minimum required specifications for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Spearhead are as follows:

* Windows XP, ME, 98, 95 and 2000 (Windows 2000 Server and NT are not supported)
      * 450 MHz processor
      * 128 MB RAM
      o 256 MB for Windows XP and Windows 2000
      * CD/DVD-Rom Speed: 8x
      * At least 1.2 GB of hard drive space
      * Sound: DirectX 8.0 compatible sound card
      * Keyboard
      * MS compatible Mouse
      * A video card with at least 16 MB of video RAM with DirectX 8.0 compatible driver and one of the supported chipsets.

Supported video cards:

* Nvidia Riva TNT or Higher
      * ATI Rage 128 or Higher
      * PowerVR Kyro

If you need any further assistance regarding your question, please let us know by updating this incident.

Sincerely,

EARep Matteo
      Player Relations
      Electronic Arts
      Obviously, they don't have a clue about this so-called Linux installer for the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by domkop View Post
        I wrote them (Electronic Arts) an e-mail about the existence of a Linux client for MEDAL OF HONOR: ALLIED ASSAULT and here's what I found out...

My original message:

The reply:

Obviously, they don't have a clue about this so-called Linux installer for the game.
        Haha... cool stuff. They obviously have not heard of anything on a so-called Linux client.

You can point to them the link to the Linux installer. They were asking for an 'update to the incident'. Hahaha.

Comment

• Best bot-answer in a long time... good god kills a kitten for each crappy customer support return mail

Comment

• Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
            You can point to them the link to the Linux installer. They were asking for an 'update to the incident'. Hahaha.
            Heh - "incident" is just a term from a business language called ITIL - he should be pointing them to a "knowledge asset" or some BS like that

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
            Best bot-answer in a long time
            Ha! Don't give them credit for that much efficiency, they actually PAID someone to copy/paste that response... there IS a name at the bottom of the email.

Sometimes when I'm wearing my cynical hat I think the best way to get Linux support is to make it more expensive for them NOT to support it - "plz help my EA sports isn't working on my Windows XP Hardy Warthog"

Comment

• Maybe if 1000+ players of MOHAA sent angry emails about not being able to configure mohaa properly on their 2.6 kernel based GNU/Linux workstation because of a compatibility problem with X server, it would raise a flag on them.

Comment

• Come on Michael. Put this on the Phoronix headlines for a good laugh!

Comment

• This does not really beat my recent customer support quarrel. Sent in my Radeon 4870 since it has been defunct. So they mailed me back that they can not replace it since this hardware is not sold anymore ( erm... 'xcuse me? it just got out a month ago! ) and they can only offer me to replace it with another hardware. The problem... the included link pointed to a... Radeon 4870 ( even the same seller ). I was just like... wtf?!... No idea what they smoked but it must be damn good! ( and yes, I get now my replacement... not after another brilliant example of customer support idiocy :P )

Comment

• One of my favourite games back when I still had the original Xbox console is THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ESCAPE FROM BUTCHER BAY. I must say this one remains a great game, regardless of it running under Windows, which I like to play through at least several times a year. So, I wonder what are the odds for porting that one over?

Comment

• Originally posted by domkop View Post
                      One of my favourite games back when I still had the original Xbox console is THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ESCAPE FROM BUTCHER BAY. I must say this one remains a great game, regardless of it running under Windows, which I like to play through at least several times a year. So, I wonder what are the odds for porting that one over?
                      Ill try to respond as elocuently as Svartalf here. Game was developed by StarBreeze and published by dum dum dum dum... Sierra/Vivendi. And theres supposed to be an upcoming sequel or expansion pack to that game, called THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ASSAUT ON DARK ATHENA, so I would say it's pretty much a dead end.

Svartalf, did i do it right?

Comment

Working...
                      X