LGP Introduces Linux Game Copy Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miles View Post
    DRM makes a vote for DRM titles. The fact they're from LGP doesn't even change anything - buying these titles from LGP would be a blatant vote for DRM.
    Heh... I think you'll find that I see no discrepancy with my thoughts and yours...

WINE doesn't make a vote for more Windows titles if you're buying a second-hand title from somebody that finished the game or didn't like it (and yes, it's LEGAL. If you don't want to support Windows titles while having no other choice because there's no Linux equivalent, buy it second hand NOT from a shop so you don't count as a Windows consumer for anybody). However I still think it's important to encourage SOME Windows developers when they're producing risky highly original content - Indie developers or even big names that go in the right direction, while telling them you'd pay twice the price if they released a Linux version.
    Sorry... You're wrong there. You bought it from someone or someone else bought it. Each purchased item counts as a vote, a network effect item FOR the platform it was written for. It doesn't matter that you bought it or someone else did- it was still purchased, still a vote lurking about for that platform.

If you want to help make Linux games happen you're going to have to wean yourself off of Windows games- how you do that is not my concern and I'm not going to tell you how to do it.

(If you have issues with what is offered on Linux, for whatever reason, I suggest Nintendo or PS3- but if you've issues with DRM, you can pretty much forego most stuff as it's everywhere...sorry... But, if you chose that route, keep in mind that you're voting for whatever platform you choose other than Windows...).

Oh, and yes - you don't like DRM, don't buy it / don't pirate it either. Which is what is going to happen here too.
    Unfortunately, yes, I fear you're right- which will just fuel the fires just like it's done with the RIAA and MPAA crap.

I'm not going to say I'll never buy X3 (if the copy protection is on par with Egosoft's) - I'm an Elite fan after all, but I tried the demo a while ago and it just didn't click at all. I'm going to try the Linux demo again then decide.
    Fair enough. All anyone would ever ask of a person in this business, really.

Meanwhile EVE ONLINE HAS A LINUX CLIENT! (just saw that tonight)
    Uses WINE to do it- keep that one in mind... The upshot, however, is I think they count it as a Linux sale, so it's okay, just going to have operational issues from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by stan.distortion View Post
      Nine Inch Nails waved two fingers at DRM recently by giving away the first of a 2 CD set for free and at high bitrate. And $5 for the full CD in FLAC, $10 through the post.
      They did OK out of it, I bought it and know another 15 who did the same, but how long before the novelty wares of and folks turn back to emule? I wish I could believe the morality will last but only a fool would bet on it.
      the music industry gets it's money back with concerts, you can't compare them

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Uses WINE to do it- keep that one in mind... The upshot, however, is I think they count it as a Linux sale, so it's okay, just going to have operational issues from time to time.

Yeah, and they advertize linux support on the website properly too. It's good.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
          the music industry gets it's money back with concerts, you can't compare them
          Svartalf tried to make it work for LPG too, unfortunately he can't carry a tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
            I don't think anyone wants to release another starforce...
            Save EA...they're into anal probing the gamers, from what I hear. What's another StarFarce DRM fiasco to them?

Comment

When a game is single player only it is highly unlikely that customers want to accept this restriction. Of course steam is using the same way, but there you can at least easyly buy and download the games. But when you have the game on media thats really no good idea. For games with optional online it would be enough when you have to use that login/pass thing when you want to use maybe worldwide stats, multiplayer games via internet and similar things - but keep the single player part without. If the online part really gives extra value to the game then you don't have to fear pirates.

Comment

As a long-time LGP customer (I bought Majestic, Postal 2, X2) and as a beta tester for X3 (pre-ordered), I have to say I am extremely disappointed by this move and also very doubtful the DRM will increase their sales.

If I pay a premium for those games, it is not to get the same issues than under Windows. The only DRM I would accept would be similar to RTCW or Doom 3: a license key where the single player campaign does not require internet connection and does not "call home". If I wanted DRM, I would buy a ?5 version for Windows and use it under Wine. If I decide to pay ?25 for a 4-year old game, it is really for a service, which does NOT imply that I am a potential criminal.

If really LGP management think that all pirated versions will transform into payed versions, they are highly mistaken. Once again, the honest customer is penalised by a technology which will not stop piracy. And pissing off your customers in a niche which is already small is certainly not a smart move.

I was genuinely going to pre-order Sacred and participate to the beta testing, but now strongly reconsider. I will send my opinion by email to LGP, and hope I will not be the only one, so that they can reconsider and at least relax the rule (I'd like the single-player campaign does not require any connection).

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Svartalf tried to make it work for LPG too, unfortunately he can't carry a tune.
                  I can't with that heavy 16-ton DRM hanging around my neck...

I've not heard back from Lead Pursuit yet...yet... As for publication, I don't know whom I'll do it through yet. Take that as you wish, fyi...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    When a game is single player only it is highly unlikely that customers want to accept this restriction. Of course steam is using the same way, but there you can at least easyly buy and download the games. But when you have the game on media thats really no good idea. For games with optional online it would be enough when you have to use that login/pass thing when you want to use maybe worldwide stats, multiplayer games via internet and similar things - but keep the single player part without. If the online part really gives extra value to the game then you don't have to fear pirates.

With online verification there is very little need for physical media. If they are going to do online verification then just torrent the iso and sell the key online. Less overhead, faster delivery, can yell the "We're Green" madness leading to greater profits.

Comment

Originally posted by zeb_ View Post
                      I was genuinely going to pre-order Sacred and participate to the beta testing, but now strongly reconsider. I will send my opinion by email to LGP, and hope I will not be the only one, so that they can reconsider and at least relax the rule (I'd like the single-player campaign does not require any connection).
                      You want to get this changed? Convince him that it's a better idea to not do it. What you just said, if you put it in nice, clean, professional terms (as if you were addressing a Judge or similar...)- you MIGHT get some traction and get your way if enough of you all do it that way.

I've no say in the matter. I've probably already said more than I ought to have on the subject today as it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X