Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just in case this thread doesn't have enough: I'm another added to the list of "not buying ut3 until a linux version is released". That's if I can even buy it here - my local store will probably pull it from the shelves before too much longer as it's just not selling. And that's with the price down to 20Euro.
    I simply can't validate pausing all my "hobby work", rebooting into windows to play ut3, then rebooting back into linux after half an hour to an hour. So it's more of a convenience thing - which is the reason I'll be buying etqw as soon as I can find it (not having a credit card can be a pain sometimes - internet shopping would be so much easier).

Comment

• Originally posted by me262 View Post

WarTourist, is there OS tracking (Statistical data) in the clients?

I hope also that there's an OS tracking in the client. This could change the figures about the linux gamers on the market, as I don't think that there is relevant statistics at all about the linux usage for gaming with commercial titles.
      For example, how can one know that a UT2004 windows packaged game is used in linux, as very often, one use the distro installer to get the client/engine and the windows CD to isntall the artwork data / maps ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
        I hope also that there's an OS tracking in the client. This could change the figures about the linux gamers on the market, as I don't think that there is relevant statistics at all about the linux usage for gaming with commercial titles.
        To the best of my knowlege there's been an OS tracker in the previous clients. They've got metrics on Linux usage and it's been favorable enough for the last handful of versions of Unreal Tournament.

Comment

• What helps an OS tracker... if it is denied Network Access. If somebody is a bit security minded the back-phoning is blocked with iptables. Now that's a worthless. You would not register many Linux hits this way.

Comment

• there is an anon statistic option in quake 4 iirc , not sure what stats it collects mind , for sure id know roughly the %'s tho

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              What helps an OS tracker... if it is denied Network Access. If somebody is a bit security minded the back-phoning is blocked with iptables. Now that's a worthless. You would not register many Linux hits this way.
              Pretty sure it blocks multiplayer and online access too though...

Comment

• I wouldnt like any kind of data harvesting program running in my computer, even if it's only sending back the version of the browser im using, or which background wallpaper i have in my desktop. Apart from the privacy thing, i dont like such a program consuming valuable CPU cycles, that could be used for something more useful, like downloading pr0n.

Comment

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
                  Pretty sure it blocks multiplayer and online access too though...
                  Not necessarily. Phone-Backs tend to be always on the same port. Game communication on the other hand can often be chosen. Furthermore you can block IPs. So if a game starts sending crap to IPs I've not authorized the IP gets a ban in my iptables. Gaming still possible, phoning home not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                    Not necessarily. Phone-Backs tend to be always on the same port. Game communication on the other hand can often be chosen. Furthermore you can block IPs. So if a game starts sending crap to IPs I've not authorized the IP gets a ban in my iptables. Gaming still possible, phoning home not.
                    But, restricting phoning home doesnt impair you being able to playo online? ? tried adding the master server ips to my hosts file, something similar to doing that iptables thing, and as a result, the game doesnt check for online servers. It only displays a blank window. Using a game server browser like qtracker doesnt work either.

Comment

• I mean tracking facilities build into the game. They tend to either use a different port than the actual game servers or go to a different computer ( a collector system ).

Comment

Working...
                      X