Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Months And Still No UT3 For Linux

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
    (BioWare announced that there was going to be a Linux version of the game farily early on, and it took them well after a year to release it)
    Are you talking about a year from the announcement or a year from the release of the the Windows version which was released June 18, 2002. First official public linux beta client was released March 20th, 2003? The Tux Games version was released June 20th/2003.

    Comment


    • Release, rather than announcement. I'm not taking into account the public beta, but the first release. I don't remember when it was exactly released, though.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
        Release, rather than announcement. I'm not taking into account the public beta, but the first release. I don't remember when it was exactly released, though.
        The official 1.29 binaries were released on the 1 year anniversary, and as you mentioned, bioware kept the community up to date with regular progress updates throughout that period.
        Last edited by deanjo; 10 October 2008, 03:07 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Says here there'll be a mac/linux version to use with that box copy. :P This is the kind of thing that happens when a person/company generally comes through on their goods.. something develops called "trust". You gain "loyal customers". Then when they don't come through, that "trust" is broken and you potentially lose those "loyal customers".
          Forums posts are irrelevant.
          The only things that's relevant is the text on you UT3's box.
          The box says Windows XP or better (Vista?!?!?)

          As it was said before, Linux users should vote with their wallets. Linux binary? We buy. No Linux binary? We ignore. It's as simple as that.

          - Gilboa
          Devel: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 32GB, 6x2TB, 1x256GB-SSD, GTX1080, F33, Dell UP3216Q 4K.
          oVirt: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 96GB, 10x2TB, GTX550, CentOS8.3.
          Win10: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 5x1TB, GTX980, Win10Pro.
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33, Dell U2711.
          Laptop: ASUS Strix GL502V, i7-6700HQ, 32GB, 1TB+256GB, 1070M, F33.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            The official 1.29 binaries were released on the 1 year anniversary, and as you mentioned, bioware kept the community up to date with regular progress updates throughout that period.
            It's been a while, so I didn't remember. IIRC however, the official instructions for installing the Linux client included downloading the 1.29 patch with the binaries and then the assets (or use cabextract to install from your retail cd, or use the icculus installer, my personal favorite way to install NWN )

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Chris View Post
              Says here there'll be a mac/linux version to use with that box copy. :P This is the kind of thing that happens when a person/company generally comes through on their goods.. something develops called "trust". You gain "loyal customers". Then when they don't come through, that "trust" is broken and you potentially lose those "loyal customers".
              Yup . in perhaps a dramatic way

              ta man

              Comment


              • Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                Forums posts are irrelevant.
                Official announcements, however, are not irrelevant. And unless WarTourist, or whoever put together the FAQ's answers, wasn't acting under their capacity as an Epic employee, that is an official announcement. And I think if someone was employed by Epic, they would at least have to say it's not official if it wasn't.

                EDIT:
                This is not to mean I think they "owe" us a Linux client. Products are often officially announced and don't come through as advertised. But when you have that bit of trust, it tends to become reason enough to act on good faith. Blaming people for buying the Windows version after an announcement like that is more of a 'blame the victim' scenario, IMO. Do the people deserve compensation? Not really, except as far as to be able to return the game for a refund. Is it their fault? No, they didn't make the Linux client not come and they couldn't know it wouldn't come after being told, over and over again, that it would.
                Last edited by Chris; 11 October 2008, 04:48 AM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  Official announcements, however, are not irrelevant. And unless WarTourist, or whoever put together the FAQ's answers, wasn't acting under their capacity as an Epic employee, that is an official announcement. And I think if someone was employed by Epic, they would at least have to say it's not official if it wasn't.
                  True, but Epic never attached a date to these FAQ's/messages/etc.
                  And even if they did, they are under no legal obligation to deliver.
                  ... and even if they do deliver, nothing stops them from releasing a Linux only UT3 DVD (instead of just the binary) - leaving existing users in the cold.

                  - Gilboa
                  Devel: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 32GB, 6x2TB, 1x256GB-SSD, GTX1080, F33, Dell UP3216Q 4K.
                  oVirt: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 96GB, 10x2TB, GTX550, CentOS8.3.
                  Win10: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 5x1TB, GTX980, Win10Pro.
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33, Dell U2711.
                  Laptop: ASUS Strix GL502V, i7-6700HQ, 32GB, 1TB+256GB, 1070M, F33.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    True, but Epic never attached a date to these FAQ's/messages/etc.
                    And even if they did, they are under no legal obligation to deliver.
                    Right, as I said in the edit, I don't mean to sound like they "owe" us what was promised.

                    ... and even if they do deliver, nothing stops them from releasing a Linux only UT3 DVD (instead of just the binary) - leaving existing users in the cold.
                    Which is also why I think they should be entitled to a return/refund of the product, since it was bought on good faith, and the deal hasn't come through as the buyers expected. But of course, we know how well being able to return games goes over these days..

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Which is also why I think they should be entitled to a return/refund of the product, since it was bought on good faith, and the deal hasn't come through as the buyers expected. But of course, we know how well being able to return games goes over these days..
                      Wrong. You're not entitled for a refund - and I'm not just talking about a legal obligation.
                      No matter how you spin it, you bought the -Windows- version. It said so on the box.
                      Unlike UT2K3 and UT2K4, the Linux logo never appeared on the UT3's box.

                      Epic's promise to deliver a Linux version someday is just that - a promise.

                      - Gilboa
                      Last edited by gilboa; 12 October 2008, 07:59 AM.
                      Devel: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 32GB, 6x2TB, 1x256GB-SSD, GTX1080, F33, Dell UP3216Q 4K.
                      oVirt: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 96GB, 10x2TB, GTX550, CentOS8.3.
                      Win10: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 5x1TB, GTX980, Win10Pro.
                      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33, Dell U2711.
                      Laptop: ASUS Strix GL502V, i7-6700HQ, 32GB, 1TB+256GB, 1070M, F33.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X