C4 Game Engine Continues Supporting Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillyBart View Post
    Aside from the incident with the Linux installation, the developer has always been very professional and provided incredibly good support. Every one of the other engines mentioned so far in this thread cannot touch C4, not even close, not in features, not in stability, not in speed, and definitely not in the cleanliness of the source code and overall elegance of the architecture.
    Yeah i think i got it. C4 is the best engine out there and the dev is a lovely and awesome guy.
    If you tried to carry this message more ... subtle perhaps one or two men on planet earth would take you serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
      Yeah i think i got it. C4 is the best engine out there and the dev is a lovely and awesome guy.
      If you tried to carry this message more ... subtle perhaps one or two men on planet earth would take you serious.
      I'm just trying to express a rational and fair opinion based on my own personal experiences. You don't need to be mean to me just because I'm not jumping on the hate bandwagon.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBart View Post
        I'm just trying to express a rational and fair opinion based on my own personal experiences. You don't need to be mean to me just because I'm not jumping on the hate bandwagon.
        They're probably only ribbing you for your apparently accidental duplicate posts 3 minutes apart. Don't sweat it.

All: Please don't throw in or compare directly to Irrlicht and Ogre3D as if they were game engines. They're strictly 3D rendering engines, which other actual game engines incorporate (NeoAxis engine, SuperTuxKart, etc).

Comment

I'd be willing to bet some linux users sought him out after his "frankenstein" post and offered to give him some help with whatever his problems were. It's hard for me to believe that every linux user hopped on the hate bandwagon for a post that was just venting some frustration and even harder for me to believe he'd continue to support linux if that had been the case.

Comment

Linux support was re-instated like a month after being removed. I guess enough of the customers used Linux.

On a second note the engine costs $300 to license. While that is reasonable, its hard not to look at open-source engines or even much more powerful engines like Unreal Engine that is now free with only a 5% royalty for games you sell or Unity Personal which is free if your game generated less than $100,000 in revenue.

Comment

I hate to say it... but that's a real blow to trust from C4 developers. There have been no issued apologies either for things that were clearly meant to instigate the Linux community negatively.
              I think he might as well drop Linux support. I'm not really looking for an engine or anything but I can't imagine anyone in their right mind who would go with an engine that flaunts instability like that.
              What they did isn't really the way to do things in any ecosystem. In other words... what the fuck were they thinking?

I'd like to think it's some sort of ulterior motive so as to justify their retarded actions but... I have my doubts.
              They should have stopped at just saying Linux wasn't worth the money. At least that was understandable to some extent.
              Last edited by computerquip; 20 April 2015, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post
                It seems he lernt to install and to use Ubuntu. Gratz.
                Or he just stopped being an idiot. Oh, you just said that.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  On a second note the engine costs $300 to license. While that is reasonable, its hard not to look at open-source engines or even much more powerful engines like Unreal Engine that is now free with only a 5% royalty for games you sell or Unity Personal which is free if your game generated less than $100,000 in revenue.
                  Wow. Last time I checked (when all this happened back in january) I think it was around 80 bucks, which was quite reasonable IMHO. But $300? No way, sorry.

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                  I hate to say it... but that's a real blow to trust from C4 developers. There have been no issued apologies either for things that were clearly meant to instigate the Linux community negatively.
                  I think he might as well drop Linux support. I'm not really looking for an engine or anything but I can't imagine anyone in their right mind who would go with an engine that flaunts instability like that.
                  What they did isn't really the way to do things in any ecosystem. In other words... what the fuck were they thinking?
                  Well, at least you get the source. So even if the guy drops Linux support again, you can still update and make the engine work in future Linux releases.

Comment

Yea probably he was forced to learn Ubuntu, as some customers cried at him to support Steamos in future. Maybe it was simply PR, to keep C4 in mind.

Comment

After every other big player announced Linux support, he was clearly forced to suck it up. Too late through, since he's scarred his product with his terrible unprofessional attitude.

Comment

Working...
                      X