Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Engineer - easy tool to install games with free engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by makson View Post
    Have you tested it yourself? Because cutscenes are working fine for me on rbdoom-3-bfg....
    so it seems to me that is far better choice then wine.
    I tested it when it was fresh, the 3d cutscenes work, the videos are not supported. Bink video could be played with ffmpeg, you would just need to force the aspect ratio, but it is not in the engine.

Comment

Wow. Someone is using my app to get those games running natively on SteamOS

Nice!

@Kano
      If you talk about the videos from Data Disks you collect in game, they work fine too. To be honest, I have not found anything missing in Doom 3 case.

Comment

Wow. Someone is using my app to get those games running natively on SteamOS

Nice!
        I hope that more people will start to use Free Engineer.

In the past, Linux users were not well-informed about many open source projects that required CD with a game for Windows/Mac. Additionally, most of these open source projects are not/were not included in the software repositories of Ubuntu.

Nowadays, many users have started to use Steam, Desura, GOG, and I think that many projects at GitHub, SourceForge etc. are worthwhile to use them instead Dosbox, Wine, and so forth.

Unfortunately, I noticed that many interesting games are not available on Steam, Desura, GOG, and so on.
        Last edited by gbudny; 17 March 2015, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Guys... Jedi Knight: Academy runs better on Linux than it did on Windows for me now. What is this madness.

Comment

Tomb Raider I, II and III is added on OpenRaider engine. I have tested it on TB III and wow, that is unplayable alpha. I hope it will get better in the future.

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            Guys... Jedi Knight: Academy runs better on Linux than it did on Windows for me now. What is this madness.
            id Tech 3 engine is well known by open source developers. It isn't strange, that quickly many bugfixes, improvements and other stuffs were implemented. It is better then closed source version and I will make another engine update soon. Have fun.

Comment

Is Free Engineer modular enough to be easily made to support eg RPM-based distributions for the engines?

Comment

This is really cool, although I have no use for it right now, still a big thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Is Free Engineer modular enough to be easily made to support eg RPM-based distributions for the engines?
                  It depends. Adding RPM support for the app is trivial.
                  But someone will need to make sure, that those game engines are present in RPM repositories. Cool thing about Ubuntu is that anyone (including me) can have his/her own ppa repository and push there whatever he/she wants. In my case those are game engines (and dependencies which are not present or are old in Ubuntu repositories). All my files from ppa are installed in /opt directory to make sure they will not break anything in the system.

Originally posted by geearf
                  This is really cool, although I have no use for it right now, still a big thank you!
                  You're welcome

Comment

It depends. Adding RPM support for the app is trivial.
                    But someone will need to make sure, that those game engines are present in RPM repositories. Cool thing about Ubuntu is that anyone (including me) can have his/her own ppa repository and push there whatever he/she wants. In my case those are game engines (and dependencies which are not present or are old in Ubuntu repositories). All my files from ppa are installed in /opt directory to make sure they will not break anything in the system.

You're welcome
                    Well, we do have copr on Fedora which is very similar to PPA. I'm a bit reluctant wrt packaging engines though, imo it would be enough that it would just use system engines if available in repos and only advertise game for installation if so. I might be interested in maintaining such an app

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      Well, we do have copr on Fedora which is very similar to PPA. I'm a bit reluctant wrt packaging engines though, imo it would be enough that it would just use system engines if available in repos and only advertise game for installation if so. I might be interested in maintaining such an app
                      Sounds great. I will PM you shortly with details to not spam this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X