• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yash View Post
    3 new maps which are half ugly half nice
    1 new gun (another basic laser gun)
    and a new, weird, power up thingy.

Just this much in one and a half year of development!
    No, there's more. I can't list everything (I'm just a player, not a dev) but it includes :

- New serverlist with categories (as shown in the video)
    - The game was ported to SDL2
    - New menu layout, new sections with more options
    - Font updates
    - New weapon balance
    - New armor / health balance
    - Overkill mod (which is pretty popular) was merged, and new gamemode "Monster" was added.
    - New audio track
    - Lots of bug fixes / improvements
    - Xonotic Statistics website improvements

Also, let's be honest, the new 3 CTF maps look pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      First of all they talked about the engine, and it engine is a q1 or q2 based engine. Also as far as I remember there was no speed-improvement jumps in unreal turnament, maybe I am wrong here I played more q3 then unreal tournament, but I still am pretty shure about that.

So what is here ut likemaybe the weapons that it.
      Xonotic runs on Darkplaces, which is based on Q1 engine, so it's definitely in the Quake family (it started as a q1 mod a long time ago). Most of the feel is UT-like, cause there are many UT fans among the devs, which is awesome IMO. 2 best fps's combined - Q1&UT and in effect you get Xonotic :-).

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        Xonotic runs on Darkplaces, which is based on Q1 engine, so it's definitely in the Quake family (it started as a q1 mod a long time ago). Most of the feel is UT-like, cause there are many UT fans among the devs, which is awesome IMO. 2 best fps's combined - Q1&UT and in effect you get Xonotic :-).
        best fps shooter especialy because of its multiplayer was q3 :P q1 and q2 was more or less singleplayer focused

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          best fps shooter especialy because of its multiplayer was q3 :P q1 and q2 was more or less singleplayer focused
          You are wrong sir. Q3 was very badly executed, even comapred to Q2. UT was far superior to Q3, and UT sequels, mainly UT2k4, are the pinnacle of the genre. Also the multiplayer scene of Q1 is quite alive even today (even more alive than numerous younger fps's).

Xonotic has the potential to be among these titles, but it needs more players. The current pro-gamer dominated community is not really adding popularity (unless one likes to be smacked all over the place). Let's hope that this changes for the better in due time.

Comment

Xonotic has the potential to be among these titles, but it needs more players.
            I agree. Xonotic does need more players. I mean, when I first started playing the game, there were only about 3 to 5 servers with maybe 3 or 4 players on the most populated one. Now, there are more, maybe 5 to 7 at peak times with more players. I played on servers like TheRegulars which sometimes have more than 12 players and we have fun. It's not no BF4, UT or Halo, but rest assured, it's fun. But it could be so much better with more people.

I wish every linux distribution aimed at modern systems included xonotic out of the box just so people have something to test their machines and that will perhaps give the game more exposure. Or even, I wish xonotic was ported over to steamworks and moved over to steam. that would probably help so much but it's unlikely to happen.

Comment

The devs keep saying they wait for 1.0 to start marketing the game to more people, so that's no use now. As for Steam, even if Xonotic would be distributed via Steam, that's not going to be the main channel. The game is neutral when it comes to such things, so no steamworks, Xonotic has it's own stats system.

(this info is based on what ccan be read on the game forum)

Comment

You are wrong sir. Q3 was very badly executed, even comapred to Q2. UT was far superior to Q3, and UT sequels, mainly UT2k4, are the pinnacle of the genre.
                I don?t know which planet are you dropped from, but even Q3 own OSP, CPMA, later QuakeLive - were booming and even OpenArena has about 30-40 just different hardcore players *daily*, totalling over ~200 people.

UT on other hand was popular in UT99, less so in 2003/2004, and very depleting with UT3.

Beside, UT mechanic is VERY different - very large spaces compared to player model and more teamplay empathis.
                Quake is more deathmatch and CTF on smaller maps, with its own very unique movement style.

Nobody discusses here which renderer its based on, but the point is how it behaves. And Xonotic does NOT behave like Quake.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  With the graphics settings all turned up to the maximum, Xonotic's graphics are almost upto par with Quake 4, despite being based off a heavily modified Quake 2 engine. The video doesn't do it justice. Granted, Quake 4 graphics are dated by today's AAA game standards but considered good for a FOSS game.
                  The engine is DarkPlaces, which is based on Quake 1, not Quake 2.

By the way, Xonotic in Ultimate settings compares to more recent games than Quake 4, especially on official maps.

Comment

Working...
                  X