Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropico 5 Launches On Steam For Linux

Phoronix: Tropico 5 Launches On Steam For Linux

As expected, Tropico 5 was released today for Linux gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

40 USD in the US and 45 EUR in France? Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
      Understandable... High Steam shipping costs...

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
        Well, that's the price Europeans pay to not have to die like a piece of trash
        in some gutter if you don't have medical insurance. I prefer it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
          Well, that's the price Europeans pay to not have to die like a piece of trash
          in some gutter if you don't have medical insurance. I prefer it that way.
          I don't get that. Employees pay some percentage of their income to get insurance, and their employer also pays about the same amount (a little less) for the employee's insurance. If you don't work, you either have insurance automatically because your parents (and their employers) pay a percentage of their income, or the government pays for it, or whatever. That's how it works in Germany, not sure about France.

Anyway, the insurance cost ist certainly not included in Steam game prices (when ignoring VAT), unless Steam has some employees working in Germany. $40=31EUR, then add 19% VAT? I'd expect ~37EUR for something that costs $40. Or simply 40EUR as usual.

45EUR? That's unexpected.

Comment

Buy your codes elsewhere! G2A have it for ~$20AUD.

Comment

I spent the better part of the day playing it. It's a pretty awesome game, reminds me of the Anno series...but dumber.

Though it was plagued by a ton of problems when it launched this morning. I guess there's some instructions it requires that some oldish (phenom 2) CPUs don't have and it fails to work for them. For me, it started up to a black screen and a cursor. It turns out it needs some opengl 4.0 features, I use Intel so I'm capped at 3.3 until mesa 11. The fix was to override the glsl to 400 and gl to 4.0. I'm kinda surprised it works now though, I guess it requires one of the 4.0 features that's already complete; it doesn't seem to use tessellation.

Other than that, I have an iris 5200 and it ran it pretty smoothly with shadows and antialiasing off and postprocessing at low.

Comment

For me it's running flawless and pretty fast; one of the best ports so far. And probably the best modern building game for linux at the moment.

i5 3470, R9 270, Catalyst 14.30.1005, Kernel 3.16.2

Comment

Originally posted by teeedubb View Post
                  Buy your codes elsewhere! G2A have it for ~$20AUD.
                  If you're Aussie, you know why getting it for 20 bucks is funny. In that sore butthole anything's better way.

And ungutknut, I found Cityies in Motion 2 to be a pretty damn sweet play. I haven't played it in a while now (installing right....now =D). Can'tg et more city-builder than that!
                  Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                    And ungutknut, I found Cityies in Motion 2 to be a pretty damn sweet play. I haven't played it in a while now (installing right....now =D). Can'tg et more city-builder than that!
                    I gotta try that one as soon I'll get bored of Tropico. Thanks for the advice... looks really good (though a little too transport-orientated for my taste).

Comment

Working...
                    X