X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creak
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Even leaving aside the DRM aspect of this, you can realize that such step is completely out of place for GOG. When you offer some service, would you also serve as a free promoter of the competing service? It's bizarre from any business standpoint.

The bottom line, if you want games on Steam - buy them on Steam. GOG offer DRM-free games, they aren't Steam resellers.
    It's not that bizarre, it's even a perfectly known economic rule: why do you think all the restaurants are gathered in the same streets, or why computer shops are all together? Following your idea, they should be as far as possible to each other because they are competing, so it should be bad for their business to have some competition around? Be in reality, it's not. They all gathered together because it attract the consumers with, then, can choose.

I'll try to get you the name of this economic theory.
    You could argue that because it's dematerialized, it's different. Well, I don't think so. GoG won't gain consumers by locking themselves away.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
    Valve is one of the most loved companies in gaming for how great they support their fans and customers.
    You're joking, right? They have the worst support in the history of ever.

The game you bought doesn't even work? Tough. No returns.

We think that you violated our TOS? Tough, we block all your 700 games that cost you a fortune and we keep your money. That's borderline robbery.

Hey, here's a new game, released 2014, buy it. Oh yeah, it's actually from 1998, but we'll lie to you and claim it's a new game. You bought it? Tough. No returns.

A user violated copyright law by making a weapon skin for the Steam Workshop that used a picture of a parrot that he doesn't own. Tough, we'll ban that user for life. A publisher did the same thing, but actually much worse by stealing copyrighted assets from others and selling them on our store? No, that's totally fine. We won't ban them. We only ban our users.

The only reason people love them is because of the Half-Life mythos and the cheap game sales. That's ALL. Otherwise, Valve is a joke when it comes to supporting their idio... I mean fans.
    Last edited by RealNC; 19 August 2014, 05:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Creak View Post
    Well the answer is quite simple: I like DRM-free games, but it's way easier to manage you game library with Steam. Being able to redeem my games on Steam allows me to have both. On the opposite, if I can't redeem on Steam through GoG, I'll end up buying on HB or Steam, since they don't offer me that possibility.
    The problem with that approach is that the DRM-free and Steam versions are different builds.

If I were following your approach, I'd never have known that my DRM-free DVD+R backup of Strike Suit Zero for Linux was worthless. (The Steam version works. The DRM-free version never starts and provides no useful error messages.)

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Well the answer is quite simple: I like DRM-free games, but it's way easier to manage you game library with Steam. Being able to redeem my games on Steam allows me to have both. On the opposite, if I can't redeem on Steam through GoG, I'll end up buying on HB or Steam, since they don't offer me that possibility.
    Even leaving aside the DRM aspect of this, you can realize that such step is completely out of place for GOG. When you offer some service, would you also serve as a free promoter of the competing service? It's bizarre from any business standpoint.

The bottom line, if you want games on Steam - buy them on Steam. GOG offer DRM-free games, they aren't Steam resellers.
    Last edited by shmerl; 19 August 2014, 05:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Creak
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    I think it's actually bad for GOG to promote Steam in any way like HB does, and I don't like it about HB at all. They basically became a Steam reseller lately, with some DRM-free games appearing rarely in between. GOG should not promote DRMed services and I don't think they plan to, since unlike HB they aren't Steam reseller and Steam is their direct competitor. Why would they give away free games at their competitors' service, if they pay their own percentage from sales to developers of those games? That would be really bad for business.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    A perfect thing would be that GoG also allows to redeem on Steam and the opposite would be great too.
    I think it's actually bad for GOG to promote Steam in any way like HB does, and I don't like it about HB at all. They basically became a Steam reseller lately, with some DRM-free games appearing rarely in between. GOG should not promote DRMed services and I don't think they plan to, since unlike HB they aren't Steam reseller and Steam is their direct competitor. Why would they give away free games at their competitors' service, if they pay their own percentage from sales to developers of those games? That would be really bad for business.

Leave a comment:

• MoonMoon
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post
    If its on Steam it might aswell not exist, why would I feed those leeches at Valve who are just concerned about grabbing money?
    Only grabbing your money? Don't you forget working on Mesa, providing free tools (like vogl), working with hardware developers on driver improvements and in general bringing the largest game distribution platform, and with it many game developers, to Linux?

Short sighted as always.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Just one DRM-free game, and not on Linux...

Leave a comment:

• Creak
    replied
    If you don't like DRM (which is perfectly understandable), right now the best solution I found is to buy the DRM-free games in the Humble store and redeem them in Steam, so you can still take profit of DRM-free games while enjoying Steam features.

A perfect thing would be that GoG also allows to redeem on Steam and the opposite would be great too.
    There is two wishes made by the GoG community:
    GoG to Steam: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/inc...or_indie_games
    Steam to GoG: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/act...m_games_on_gog

Since the games are DRM-free in GoG, nothing should prevent from having these features at some point.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
    This is the type of comment holding back developers from supporting Linux IMO. Valve is one of the most loved companies in gaming for how great they support their fans and customers. If they can't win over the Linux community, why should any other developer bother?
    Even richard stallman said, it might be good for Linux, that steam was coming to Linux.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X