Darksiders Has Been Ported To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
    So you are no longer interested in the source code? DRM free would suffice?
    Like I said. Couple of hundred for source code. RRP for a DRM free binary if it works ok with compatibility layer or wine (obviously I try a torrented version (as I imagine most Linux users do before buying) if it is wine only).

The going rate for blockbuster rentals was about ?3. So a game containing DRM shouldnt cost any more than that (personally I never really rented from blockbusters just like I would not "rent" a game containing online DRM.

Lucky you, that you have hundreds of DRM-free games available on Linux.
    Yep. I buy them (develop them during the day) and enjoy them. All is good here.

Your argument for pirating games is still laughable.
    I find the hoops that "DRM plebs" jump through laughable. Anyway, I wont hold you up. You likely have better things to do, like scurry to the next Steam sale
    Last edited by kpedersen; 12 July 2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IneQuation View Post
      Yeah, well, the game actually is DRM-free, even though it's targeting Steam (i.e. it will work without the client running). Just my $0.02.
      even though i couldn't care less about drm, that would be step in right direction. drm would be better if it died off, but steam drm really never was something i'd feel as invasive

i just wonder how would anyone know that since game was not released yet

Comment

Do you know what I do when I see a game that is available only through Steam and/or has DRM?

I do not play it. I do not buy it, and I do not pirate it. I leave it be.

If this whole thing is really about principles I think you should be expected to forgo the experience, like I do.

This idea that by simply pirating the game you are sending a message is legitimately stupid. Instead, I only buy and play games that do work for me, that actually fit my requirements before purchase. By doing so, I help promote an alternative ecosystem, just like I do every time I put GNU/Linux on a computer instead of Windows, be it a legitimate copy or a pirated copy. That is how you effect change.

There are some legitimate reasons for piracy, but I really do not think that is one of them.
        Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 12 July 2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          I do not play it. I do not buy it, and I do not pirate it. I leave it be.
          There are some legitimate reasons for piracy, but I really do not think that is one of them.
          I see what you are saying but by people playing pirated copies of the game it tells developers and publishers that the game is not the problem. It is the DRM that is the problem.
          It is the DRM that is being attacked by the pirates.

I would be worried that if people boycotted the game completely, then developers and publishers will start to think AAA games are no longer desired and instead start down the casual route of quick disposable thrills involving irate birds and farmed villes.

Looking at the analytic results we get at work, if one of our games is not successful, our next game would typically be very different (as dictated by upper management). If our game was boycotted because of a single misfeature (i.e DRM or IAP*) then we would have no stats to show the management and publisher that the rest of the game was great and that we just need to strip out the DRM and IAPs.

*IAP = In App Purchase which personally I enjoy so long as I can get a hard copy of the software (i.e expansion pack disk)

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          If this whole thing is really about principles I think you should easily be expected to forgo the experience, like I do.
          I am quite familiar with this. Since wine and Linux compat do not support every game. I am quite happy to forgo the experience. However only if it is a techical reason (i.e the software not portable). Something I can personally solve by simply not adhering to the terms then so be it!
          Last edited by kpedersen; 12 July 2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            I would be worried that if people boycotted the game completely, then developers and publishers will start to think AAA games are no longer desired and instead start down the casual route of quick disposable thrills involving irate birds and farmed villes.
            lol... and just how in the world do you discern pirated for anti-drm politics and plain freeloader? is there some math function that game developers could run?

not buying is enough. if publishers would do test drive with no drm and see jump in sales since people who ignored on drm reason would now buy it, that would be the reason. but, they CANNOT discern who was freeloading and why, just how many people bought it and difference in sales push

seems to me that you just want to have reason no matter how badly it is being pulled out of your a$$ in order to rationalize your wrongdoing and not feel bad about it. but, for rest of the world... you're a freeloader

p.s. there is no "killing in self defense" like reason with drm you're clamouring for. if you don't like it, don't buy it. but, also don't play it.

Comment

I see what you are saying but by people playing pirated copies of the game it tells developers and publishers that the game is not the problem.
              No, it doesn't. At first, the publishers (again, the developers have no say in that at all, usually, so you are still punishing the wrong people with your actions) can't tell how many people are actually running a pirated version of the game. Secondly, there are different reasons for people to pirate games (no money, having money but being a cheapass, wanting to try it before buying it and no demo is available, ...), but none of the can legitimately count as protest, since you have to make the publisher aware of the fact that you are running a pirated copy, which I bet you won't do.

I still conclude that you are simply wanting not to purchase your games and just try to somehow fiddle your way out of the moral implications of being a freeloader and license violator.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                lol... and just how in the world do you discern pirated for anti-drm politics and plain freeloader? is there some math function that game developers could run?
                If a games developer (or publisher) would compare many of their games, ones with DRM, ones without and consistently notice the games without DRM are selling whereas the ones with DRM are not... then it doesnt take someone that bright to be able to do the maths eh?

Besides, if enough people did it (i.e all gamers) and they make public note that they are doing it as a boycott of DRM (on forums such as these) then a maths function wouldnt be needed to see this. This is called... a fscking protest!

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                you're a freeloader
                There are a lot of free games and software that have DRM too y'know. Yes, I also suggest pirating and cracking them. Does that make me a free-freeloader?
                The consumer Unity game engine is a pretty good example of this. Its free version still requires online activation. Yeah, I pirated that thing up the wazoo when we used to use it at work. Frankly, we all did. Though this was one of the main reasons why we started development of our own inhouse clone of the API.
                Likewise at University we had access to the MSDN (Academic Alliance). Still refused to activate all that software online. Cracking it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
                Last edited by kpedersen; 12 July 2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

If a games developer (or publisher) would compare many of their games, ones with DRM, ones without and consistently notice the games without DRM are selling whereas the ones with DRM are not... then it doesnt take someone that bright to be able to do the maths eh?
                  Well, if the quality and popularity are similar, but generally they are not. This is ignoring the fact that generally a publisher will either use DRM or wont, in all of their games. If there's ever a lack of DRM in the game of a publisher who would normally have DRM, it's either because the game is old, or they don't really care (I'm sure you could guess why).

I'm sure some would prefer if there were no more "AAA" games. I know I, for one, prefer games like Kerbal Space Program, or Rogue Legacy (both available on Linux, Rogue Legacy is DRM free according to the Humble Store, KSP isn't listed as DRM Free, but I haven't seen any obvious DRM) to games like ModernWarfare or Skyrim...Morrowind was pretty fun, though I wouldn't classify it as a AAA title.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    again, the developers have no say in that at all, usually, so you are still punishing the wrong people with your actions
                    You mentioned this earlier. However, I noticed that a lot of self published games on Steam do have the DRM component enabled. The developers have typically hidden behind Valve stating that they did not have a choice, Steam imposes this DRM and the developers have no say in the matter.

Only a few months ago (when some of our software was published) did I realize that Valve do not at all impose DRM on any games published on Steam. This is (and always was) up to the developers (if they self publish).

So no. I disagree, I know that in many cases the developers have more say than they are letting on. I think the main issue is this overall acceptance of DRM and people / developers think it is acceptable to add this DRM and not have their software cracked and pirated out of disgust.

As for those developers who really do not have a say (i.e have a draconian publisher like EA). All I can say is you had better hope your game is cracked. Otherwise in 10-20 years when the online activation servers are down. No-one will ever be able to experience or even see all your hard work and effort because the game wont start

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                      Well, if the quality and popularity are similar, but generally they are not.
                      That is EXACTLY why the game needs to be pirated rather than boycotted. So the publisher knows it is a good game and people play it, they just refuse to buy it because of the DRM.
                      Most cracks do not disable the analytics either, so the developers and publishers will be getting great results that do not align to their sales figures. They will thus start looking at the DRM as the problem rather than as a benefit.

For you to state this argument, I must not be making my point clear
                      Basically a boycott is no good because the publisher can blame the game on being "no good". However if they consistently see that all the popular games which also have good sales figures have no DRM in. They will start to realize that people do not want the DRM.
                      Last edited by kpedersen; 12 July 2014, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X