Darksiders Has Been Ported To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
    Why would you want the source code of a game?.
    I am a *BSD user and yes, I am adept enough at porting Linux source code to BSD.
    Were you expecting a different answer? Is this not an obvious reason why people want source code?

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    go ahead, don't buy the game and tell the publishers that you won't buy it unless they release it DRM free. Just pirating it and disguising that as some form of protest is pure hypocrisy.
    The big guys are too big to care about single people like that. The only way is to distribute cracks and pirate the game so it is so futile for developers to even bother with DRM in future.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 12 July 2014, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      I am a *BSD user and yes, I am adept enough at porting Linux source code to BSD.
      Were you expecting a different answer? Is this not an obvious reason why people want source code?
      Suuure. But why do you want to pirate Linux versions?

The big guys are too big to care about single people like that. The only way is to distribute cracks and pirate the game so it is so futile for developers to even bother with DRM in future.
      But of course. Since we've had copy protection on games since the early eighties of the last millenium, I'm pretty sure they'll get rid of it soon, since you started to pirate Linux games you won't be able to play on your BSD system.

Comment

I would guess because it much easier to port Linux software, then Windows, to BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
          I would guess because it much easier to port Linux software, then Windows, to BSD.
          I suppose he is pirating a binary - there's nothing to "port" there.

Comment

Linux binary compat is much better on FreeBSD than using something like wine. But as you may know, Linux binary compatibility will only let me run Linux binaries. Not Windows binaries (does this make sense to you?)

I'm pretty sure they'll get rid of it soon
            This is the main issue. Yes, the whole DRM situation is getting worse. What else can we do? Just bend over backwards and accept it?

No of course not, instead we openly admit that we pirate games as a form of protest on "social" sites like this in the hope that some developers read and take it on board. Luckily the Linux gaming community is quite a bit smaller than Windows so sites like this do have a bit more leverage. Where I work we tend to appreciate these kind of communities for feedback.

Also, I am hoping that others with a similar mindset read this and do the same. Looking at communities such as http://cs.rin.ru/forum (where "tweaking" Steam is now a fine art) it appears they do
            Last edited by kpedersen; 12 July 2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Again, you are hurting the developers (and everyone else involved in making the game) for a decision made by the publishers. That takes all morality out of your "protest" and shows us what you in reality are after: a free game without having to admit that you are a freeloader.
              And no, distributing cracks and pirated games will not stop DRM, it will only lead to even more restrictive DRM.

So, your arguments are already refuted, why not just admit to be a cheapass?

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                Yeah, right!

Just watch all the Android games needing 'full network access' and 'access to accounts and phone number'. That also includes HumbleBundle games. What makes you think the desktop is any different?
                If a game is not suppose to have network access (and I wouldn't buy one that required it), then it's pretty straight forward to isolate it from the network via apparmour, selinux, or just unplugging the cable on the game machine.

Comment

Again, you are hurting the developers (and everyone else involved in making the game) for a decision made by the publishers?
                  If everyone refused to buy a game (or only pirate it) because of it's DRM. I can guarentee the publisher (developer and everyone else involved in adding the DRM) will no longer enforce DRM. They wouldn't have a choice. If everyone did boycott DRM just for a few years, it will be eliminated.

And no, distributing cracks and pirated games will not stop DRM, it will only lead to even more restrictive DRM.
                  I say bring it on. Hopefully once DRM becomes invasive enough, more people will join the protest. Hopefully it will become so bad that even people who buy the games will have to use a crack. That will really stir things up!

So, your arguments are already refuted, why not just admit to be a cheapass?
                  I was once asked, why I bought a CD set for FreeBSD 8.x when it was open-source and I could just download it for free. I replied stating that being open-source is a benefit right? So why would people pay less for it (or nothing at all)? I just got a blank stare returned back at me

Converse to this, DRM is effectvely rental (albeit for an unspecified amount of time). So no. I will not pay for this. Oddly enough though, people really do seem to more readily part with their cash over something that contains DRM than if something was open-source. Crazy.
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 12 July 2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                    Steam != DRM, its an optional feature.
                    while this is in theory true it doesn't make steam any better.

the only positive about steam i can think of is that it helps promoting linux meanwhile.

Comment

If everyone refused to buy a game (or only pirate it) because of it's DRM. I can guarentee the publisher (developer and everyone else involved in adding the DRM) will no longer enforce DRM. They wouldn't have a choice. If everyone did boycott DRM just for a few years, it will be eliminated.

I say bring it on. Hopefully once DRM becomes invasive enough, more people will join the protest. Hopefully it will become so bad that even people who buy the games will have to use a crack. That will really stir things up!
                      It won't. Origin, UPlay, etc. are spreading (often as an addition to Steam) - at the same time we are talking about the largest publishers, millions of pre-ordered copies of mediocre games.

I was once asked, why I bought a CD set for FreeBSD 8.x when it was open-source and I could just download it for free. I replied stating that being open-source is a benefit right? So why would people pay less for it (or nothing at all)? I just got a blank stare returned back at me
                      I pay for software, if I deem it's worth the asked price. I donate for OS projects or Humble Bundles likewise - no need for pirating software.

Converse to this, DRM is effectvely rental (albeit for an unspecified amount of time). So no. I will not pay for this. Oddly enough though, people really do seem to more readily part with their cash over something that contains DRM than if something was open-source. Crazy.
                      So you are no longer interested in the source code? DRM free would suffice? Lucky you, that you have hundreds of DRM-free games available on Linux.
                      Your argument for pirating games is still laughable.

Comment

Working...
                      X