• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trebor
    replied
    Originally posted by motorsep View Post
    Has anyone tried running it? o.O

We ran it on average AMD GPU and fps went down x3.. I don't know why it's called "fast shadow mapping" :/ At the same time vanilla Doom 3 BFG runs at 70 fps on that laptop.
    I got a lot feedback that it looks kick-ass and runs extremely well even with a resolution of 2560x1440. My implementation is superfast compared to other shadow mapping approaches.

Laptops aren't for gaming and shadow mapping is usually seen as not practical for a game like Doom 3 because it has so many shadow casting point lights like 50+. Even Killzone 3 has only 10+ according to its developer papers.
    Crysis gets away with the problem to render mainly a single sun light.

However it is 2014 and not 2004 and if you want a better graphics quality then buy a decent gaming rig. You can't have better graphics for free.

If it is all not an option for you then you can simply turn off soft shadows in the graphics options or by typing > r_useShadowMapping 0 in the console.

Leave a comment:

• gilboa
    replied
    Anyone knows if this engine can run original Doom3 and Doom3 ROE content from the original CD's? *

- Gilboa
    * Given the fact the BFG contains them both, I assume the answer is yes; but you never know...

Leave a comment:

• motorsep
    replied
    Has anyone tried running it? o.O

We ran it on average AMD GPU and fps went down x3.. I don't know why it's called "fast shadow mapping" :/ At the same time vanilla Doom 3 BFG runs at 70 fps on that laptop.

Leave a comment:

• rxonda
    replied
    SDL 2

I think its because the RBDOOM relys on SDL for windowing system.

Leave a comment:

• chinoto
    replied
    I might finally be able to play this, compiling didn't work last time I tried.

Leave a comment:

• omer666
    replied
    There's a 'set r_waylandcompat "0"' in my D3BFGConfig.cfg so I assume it's a yes.

Leave a comment:

• rxonda
    replied
    Does it run on Wayland?

I wonder if RBDOOM runs on wayland.

Leave a comment:

• Ulukai
    replied
    - Implemented soft shadows using PCF hardware shadow mapping

The implementation uses sampler2DArrayShadow and PCF which usually
    requires Direct3D 10.1 however it is in the OpenGL 3.2 core so it should
    be widely supported.
    All 3 light types are supported which means parallel lights (sun) use
    scene independent cascaded shadow mapping.
    The implementation is very fast with single taps (400 fps average per
    scene on a GTX 660 ti OC) however I defaulted it to 16 taps so the shadows look
    really good which should you give stable 100 fps on todays hardware.

The shadow filtering algorithm is based on Carmack's research which was
    released in the original Doom 3 GPL release draw_exp.cpp.

- Changed light interaction shaders to use Half-Lambert lighting like in Half-Life 2 to
    make the game less dark. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Half_Lambert

r_useShadowMapping 1 - Use soft shadow mapping instead of hard stencil shadows

More screenshots: https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/R...ses/tag/v1.0.1

This is not an official id / bethesda port of the game so I'm not surprised it's not in Steam.

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied
    What OpenGL version is this feature? I'm running a 6870 (r600) with the Radeon driver, am I good to go?

As an aside, I'm surprised ID games aren't in the Steam library yet seeing as they mostly have Linux ports.

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied
    Looks nice.

Does it also have water reflection and/or refraction and soft particles?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X