Setting Performance Expectations For Wine Direct3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    They could use a D3D gallium state tracker and reach performance that is about the same as Windows...
    Except that the free drivers don't deliver performance that is about the same as Windows. The proprietary drivers can't use that state tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      Pinguinpc, can DarkSouls work fine in Wine? I can't get the game to even start.
      Game works good but need certain information on

Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.

I need nodvd, search on comments for this, inthis topic stay files link:

For anyone struggling to get the crack working...
      and its needed rename movie folder because wine had problems with some video files for example MPEG, WMV and anothers

This is my gameplay video (i dont need dsfix, this its needed if you want but game works without them)

Last edited by pinguinpc; 05 February 2014, 08:28 AM.

Comment

For the most part I have plenty of newer games with a native Linux version. Thanks to Humble Indie Bundle and other sources I end up with more games than I can keep up with. Wine is something I mostly use for old games, for which it often works very well.

Sometimes when my brothers cajole me into playing World of Warcraft with them for a while, I use Wine, but I usually set the game for OpenGL (unless the OpenGL version is really bugged at the time, which happens only occasionally). It's running pretty well on my laptop with Radeon Mobility HD4850 graphics using the open source drivers (I haven't tried it on this machine set to Direct3D). I have a bit older laptop than it with some kind of NVidia Quadro card that works OK with Direct3D or OpenGL using the proprietary NVidia driver (though its significantly lower resolution helps).

I use my desktop for most of my newer Linux native games, though WoW seems to work fine on that through Wine as well at the moment, even though it has the Catalyst drivers on an AMD HD7870 card.

Comment

What's the story with Direct3D 11 support in Wine? For example Witcher 3 will be using DX11 and will be 64 bit. Current Wine has no chances of running that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
            MPEG video sequences dont have supported, on some titles is needed rename movie folder for prevent game crashes (this include bloodrayne 1-2, resident evil 4 and anothers)
            Some (but not all) games with videos will work if you install ffdshow + native quartz with winetricks. Not an ideal solution but better than nothing as a workaround.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              What's the story with Direct3D 11 support in Wine? For example Witcher 3 will be using DX11 and will be 64 bit. Current Wine has no chances of running that yet.
              They are still working on D3D 10 first but from what I understand they share a lot in common so perhaps 11 will start working shortly 10 is working (D3D10 is a long way off as well, though). D3D9 is still needs a bit more work in any case so they are still focusing on that, which is still remains the D3D version used for most games.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                Some (but not all) games with videos will work if you install ffdshow + native quartz with winetricks. Not an ideal solution but better than nothing as a workaround.
                This is possible but as you say but in mostly cases bink video files and some vp6 files (for example: burnout paradise) dont have troubles but MPEG files and some avi files as on chaser dont have supported for now without codec package + quartz, but as you said this is not ideal and give some troubles with another games, when added wine multimedia branch this situation is posibble reduced

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  They are still working on D3D 10 first but from what I understand they share a lot in common so perhaps 11 will start working shortly 10 is working (D3D10 is a long way off as well, though). D3D9 is still needs a bit more work in any case so they are still focusing on that, which is still remains the D3D version used for most games.
                  Its correct hey working on d3d10 but on lastest days appears very interesting commits from henri verbeet on direct3d 10, some of them is:

-d3d10/tests: Avoid preprocessor check to ensure it compiles.
                  -d3d10: Add D3D10_DRIVER_TYPE_WARP.
                  -d3d10core/tests: Use D3D10CreateDevice() to create a device.
                  -d3d10/tests: Also try a WARP device in create_device().
                  -d3d10/tests: Don't reuse the device.
                  -dxgi: Store IWineDXGIAdapter pointers in the factory.
                  -dxgi: Implement IDXGIAdapter1.
                  -dxgi: Implement IDXGIFactory1.
                  -d3d8/tests: Direct3DCreate8() is always available if we have d3d8.
                  -d3d9/tests: Direct3DCreate9() is always available if we have d3d9.
                  Only stay wait, some titles for testing: just cause 2, saint row 4, sleeping dogs, assasins creed liberation hd, and many others

As you said Direct3D9 show great progress, especially in lastest 5 years (this time have testing wine) if you want know more information you can see this

or on my youtube channel

Direct3D 9 show great progress but more work is needed, for example: shadows (this include filters above on shadows and effects as occlusion), postprocessing lights effects, particle effects give troubles in many games and when you disable this features many games work and other cases is needed use vsync

Direct3D 11 on appears on some time 2 or 3 years, maybe more (and for viewed on fosdem 2014, especially saturday stefan dosinger talk, they dont use D3D9 Gallium3D state tracker)

Last edited by pinguinpc; 06 February 2014, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Direct3D 11 on appears on some time 2 or 3 years, maybe more (and for viewed on fosdem 2014, especially saturday stefan dosinger talk, they dont use D3D9 Gallium3D state tracker for now)

Last edited by pinguinpc; 06 February 2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
                      Direct3D 11 on appears on some time 2 or 3 years, maybe more (and for viewed on fosdem 2014, especially saturday stefan dosinger talk, they dont use D3D9 Gallium3D state tracker for now)

Correct fosdem 2014 stefan dosinger sunday talk

Comment

Working...
                      X