Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

linux only needs 1 killer game ?

yea I think that will be HL3 !!

I think it will be SteamOS and may be linux exclusive for a while.

Battlefield would help Alot too.

They already made a lot of the base work, when they ported the FROSTBITE engine to mac:

As for Games, Linux is faster than windows, Valve already confirm it:

Valve runs Left 4 Dead 2 at 315 frames per second on Linux; claims to have "improved graphic driver performance" under the OS.

Apple and valve chose Nvidia for a reason. But I expect Amd with Mantle will hopefully improve their stuff.

Comment

There's two major things linux needs is a killer game and compatibility with Windows games. In other words WINE needs to improve massively.

Comment

Originally posted by soupbowl View Post
        Which means they are shit games.
        Eh, or maybe we just like different games? First of all, I dislike games for morons you maybe enjoy. Remember too I could had installed anytime ?$ for free, a legal version legally installed. The only game worth it was GTA4 and for a while IL-2 for SEOW online campaigns.

With GNU/Linux I am happy to play Killing Floor, Left4Dead II, Team Fortress II for shooters and for brains Crusader Kings II. At times a quick peek on non AAA game on GNU/Linux is interesting if not worth the few euros spent.

I lost my patience waiting for Linux version of Baldur's Gate, so I bought the ?$ version from Steam and play it on Linux. Works perfect, and hence I can enjoy maybe the best game on the world trivially "click & play" style. Soon will come BG II, with that and the rest of games I own and what I will own, there is absolutely no need to defile my computer with a virus called ?$.

I have tons of NES and SNES games to study, even those are better than your shitty AAA games for morons. Games and movies of today are total shit when compared to old school games and movies. They lack depth, detail, story, all of which are replaced by first minute special effects and action for pop corn class mind numbness.

Have a nice day

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
          I lost my patience waiting for Linux version of Baldur's Gate, so I bought the ?$ version from Steam and play it on Linux. Works perfect, and hence I can enjoy maybe the best game on the world trivially "click & play" style. Soon will come BG II, with that and the rest of games I own and what I will own, there is absolutely no need to defile my computer with a virus called ?$.
          If you play BG under wine, then consider give a look at GEMRB

it's, actually, a native port.

Comment

That would be awesome if they did do this. Right now i doubt if i will buy battlefield 4, but if they release on linux i will certainly buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              If you play BG under wine, then consider give a look at GEMRB

it's, actually, a native port.
              I have tried it, never worked well for me. I think it somewhat worked with BG II, but not at all with BG1.

Was curious to try reworked release of BG because it has got so much hate. So far I like it a lot. Zero crashes and 1080p wide screen. Dunno if it is a bug or if it is because of my lame min maxing of stats with min charisma, but Tethoril identify scroll quest did not work. Never got the scroll (as it should be with charisma 3). Also it seems Nashkell Mines ore sample quest does not work. That's the possible negatives. There is talk about incoming mega patch, interesting to see what will change.

Positives include I don't have to anymore spend hours in researching what mods to install not to speak of actual installation when some mods just fail to install with Wine or Dosbox. I get the BG2 classes, spells, and user interface and a few more NPCs.

So, remake of BG1 is in my opinion greatly worth it - especially as I can now continue Iron Man playthrough attempts on it and solo thief or mage playthroughs. Hopefully they just release native Linux version as they have talked about because can't really support them, if they don't support Linux.

Good times. Wish they redo all Infinity Engine games and Black Isle games. With ez installation and 1080p support those games has not aged a bit. It is just crazy how game companies has not managed to top the old classics.

Comment

Originally posted by vyrgozunqk
                No, actually my registration here is older than yours, so go cry to your mommy...
                I'm excited enough to hear about this(BF4), but my thoughts were that Battlefield 4 is too demanding game for the current crappy linux ecosystem...
                Fine, but it's not me crying on this forum. You probably wanted to say crappy hardware, because Linux ecosystem beats Windows according to Valve.

And because of arogont fanatics like you, this system had no future, until valve camed...
                No, it's because the peoples like you who are crying instead to report bugs to proper place - AMD. I'm using nvidia proprietary drivers, so I'm not a fanatic.

You know something... the darn open source developers said that they will probably never support Hybrid Intel/AMD GPU's, "because amd has a proprietary blob, and they don't see the reason to support it..."
                I didn't know about that, but they should support AMD open source drivers (I know it's not an option for now).

If i wanted to use Nvidia based solutions only, i would've bought a mac ( they support nvidia only too - just like linux ) - if you know what i mean - and this is NOT "freedom" - this is stupidity and disability... weak spot...
                So start thinking!
                It's not Linux that supports nvidia, but it's nvidia that has very good Linux support. Linux can't do a thing to make Catalyst better. I wouldn't recommend buying a mac, because it's behind in OpenGL support and performance compared to Linux.

EDIT: And you know Battlefield 4 is AMD Radeon optimised :P "
                Too bad you're loosing this advantage on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                  Good times. Wish they redo all Infinity Engine games and Black Isle games. With ez installation and 1080p support those games has not aged a bit. It is just crazy how game companies has not managed to top the old classics.
                  Good gameplay needs time but does not bring money. Look at Planescape Torment. A masterpiece on one hand, a commercial flop on the other. That's why we won't see an enchanted version of Nameless one.
                  For me, salvation exists only in indie RPGS because these guys do not have money for graphics so they give their souls to gameplay to refund.
                  Looking forward for Eschalon Book3 these xmas and anticipate Age of Decadence.
                  Last edited by Apopas; 13 October 2013, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                    I posted a reply before I read the other posts.... I regret it so edited.
                    We'll see a lot of trolling from now on, mate. You see, the fear of a possible Android-like success of SteamOS, causes a lot of headaches...
                    Stay tuned!

Comment

"We totally want to get into Linux but we have nothing to show in the meantime. Port B4? Nah, we don't have time or resources. Next year's game? Sorry, we're already halfway through it. Maybe in 2015 we won't be late to the party. It's just so much fun sucking EA's dick and pimping Origin and god knows they don't want Linux gaming because they didn't anticipate it."

Comment

Working...
                      X