Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Source SDK 2013 Supports Linux For Mods

Phoronix: Valve's Source SDK 2013 Supports Linux For Mods

Since Valve's Linux gaming announcements last year, many game modders have been looking for Source SDK to be supported under Linux. Valve today released Source SDK 2013 and it now supports Linux as well as OS X...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news

To build the Source SDK 2013 on Linux you will need the Steam runtime. Install it using these instructions:
    Download it here
    tar xvf steam-runtime-sdk_latest.tar.xz
    cd steam-runtime-sdk_<version> (replacing <version> with the version you just unpacked.)
    ./setup.sh (Pick your architecture and debug/release preferences and then answer Y to everything else.)
    ./shell.sh --arch=i386
    Then run "make -f game_<gamename>_linux32.mak". At this point you should have client.so and server.so files to load with the Source SDK Base 2013 of your choice. More instructions on using the Steam runtime can be found in README.txt in the installed runtime directory.

** off to have a play**

Comment

That

That is really great. But surely this can't mean they have ported Hammer and the actual tools for creating content can it?

Comment

Does this mean we could see Black Mesa: Source, I hope so!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
          I believe they use Source SDK Base 2007. Buf if they could upgrade to the SDK 2013 source code base then I guess they should be able to do that?

Comment

Valve seems really serious about this Linux stuff.

Ballmer must've really pissed off Gabe or something.

Comment

Black Mesa has said they won't port unless SDK2007 it self is ported.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                Black Mesa has said they won't port unless SDK2007 it self is ported.
                Where they that specific about it?

Comment

Does it support custom shaders? I believe Black Mesa Source needed that in their SDK as they currently use that and it may not be available in the latest version.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
                    exactly what I was wondering

Comment

Working...
                    X