Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humble Indie Bundle 6 Ends At $2 Million USD

Phoronix: Humble Indie Bundle 6 Ends At $2 Million USD

Humble Indie Bundle 6 is now over and it's generated just over two million dollars during the two week DRM-free, pay-what-you-want, cross-platform game sale...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Didn't buy

I didn't buy HIB.

I would be more inclined to do so if the titles were open source.

Comment

Oooof. Come on.
      Of course it would be even more great if it was free as in freedom software (not just open source), but hey, it's a bunch of indie games, it's DRM free, it is cross platform and fun. And you can set the price and even the distribution between coders, humble team and charity. So if you like, you could spend all money on EFF.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I didn't buy HIB.

I would be more inclined to do so if the titles were open source.
        Let's hope that the gazillions of people who didn't buy the current HIB for some obscure reasons feel inclined to leave a posting...
        BTW: I bought it. I couldn't care less whether it's open source. I want to play a game, not stare at source code. Rochard is particularly nice.

Comment

Didn't buy it either

I didn't buy it either for the same reason as uid313 (not open source).

Comment

I really don't get why people care if its open source or not. Are you going to edit the game? Will you add more content to it? Are you going to make another game based on their engines? Seriously, so what if its closed source. Hard work like that available on an open source platform does not in any way shape or form entitle you to it's source code. You should be thankful they made a Linux release at all. not buying it because of something you likely won't take advantage of can be a major turnoff to future deekopers. If the devs want to give it out then great, but when you buy a game what do you care about most - how the game was coded or playing it for entertainment? If its the former, I'm sorry but you have stupid priorities.

Comment

Further more

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I really don't get why people care if its open source or not. Are you going to edit the game? Will you add more content to it? Are you going to make another game based on their engines? Seriously, so what if its closed source. Hard work like that available on an open source platform does not in any way shape or form entitle you to it's source code. You should be thankful they made a Linux release at all. not buying it because of something you likely won't take advantage of can be a major turnoff to future deekopers. If the devs want to give it out then great, but when you buy a game what do you care about most - how the game was coded or playing it for entertainment? If its the former, I'm sorry but you have stupid priorities.
              I'd like to see dev getting money for their job. With open source in most cases it's impossible. I am not greedy cunt i can spare a tenner. Typically i pay more, but i am broke, damn it. So there... 100% agreed with parent post.

Comment

Yes, games being open-sourced would be great, so that we can fix the bugs the developers can?t be bothered to fix themselves even though we paid them for working products. A lot of the bundle games didn?t or still don?t work on at least some linux setups, for example Fieldrunners? sound bug hasn?t seen a fix even though the devs have been handed a fix very quickly after the game was released (unless they did release a fix but the bundle organizers ?forgot? to mention it on their twitter feed). Some other games could be optimized or maybe have their shaders removed so they work on less powerful hw? And of course be ported to other platforms, and maintained to still be working 10 years from now. The possibilities would be endless.

I still bought it, but now I give everything to the EFF, until I can try the games and confirm that they actually work fine.

Comment

Going to a more objective criticism, I can not help but notice that Vessel is still missing on Mac and Linux despite them promising that they would have the ports out in a few days after launch. Add to that the fact that the original Linux build of Torchlight was supposed to be a buggy mess and that this only came a couple of months after Humble Indie Bundle 5 and you get the impression that this whole thing was rushed.

Which may explain why it only got $2 Million - not a figure to be scoffed at but still much lower than the previous big Indie bundle got. Personally, I think the Humble Bundle guys have been trying to push too much out too quickly ever since the Frozen Synapse one. However, yes, I still did get this Bundle and I am looking forward to Torchlight and Rochard, and it is at least all native ports this time. Not trying to be a downer, but this all could have been handled better.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                    Yes, games being open-sourced would be great, so that we can fix the bugs the developers can?t be bothered to fix themselves even though we paid them for working products. A lot of the bundle games didn?t or still don?t work on at least some linux setups, for example Fieldrunners? sound bug hasn?t seen a fix even though the devs have been handed a fix very quickly after the game was released (unless they did release a fix but the bundle organizers ?forgot? to mention it on their twitter feed). Some other games could be optimized or maybe have their shaders removed so they work on less powerful hw? And of course be ported to other platforms, and maintained to still be working 10 years from now. The possibilities would be endless.

I still bought it, but now I give everything to the EFF, until I can try the games and confirm that they actually work fine.
                    True, and I see your point but who do you think is going to do that? I think what would be a better choice is if the code was handed down to another independent group (kinda like Loki Software) and have them make it more compatible. That way we get the optimizations we want while the devs don't have to worry about their code being unjustly distributed and modified.

Comment

Working...
                    X