Unreal Engine 3 works on Linux via Stage3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had some issues with the demo.

We could join some problems and send them to Google, so they could properly fix them as fast as possible.

Here is what happens here:

My hardware is (info from chrome://gpu/):
    GPU0 VENDOR = 0x10de [NVIDIA Corporation], DEVICE= 0x0401 [GeForce 8600GT]
    Driver vendor NVIDIA
    Driver version 295.40
    Pixel shader version 3.30
    Vertex shader version 3.30
    GL version 3.3
    GL_VENDOR NVIDIA Corporation
    GL_RENDERER GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
    GL_VERSION 3.3.0 NVIDIA 295.40

Comment

I've recently seen a video on YouTube entitled Web Browsers in Linux Suck. The guy was comparing the performance of web browsers in Windows to Ubuntu with tests from Internet Explorer 10 Test Drive.

The FishBowl test on Chrome Beta works much better if the "--ignore-gpu-blacklist" flag is set but I still get only about 60fps (with 10 and 25 fishes) and it's not smooth at all.

fernandoc1 you have to start the browser from terminal with this command:

Code:
      google-chrome --ignore-gpu-blacklist
      When comparing Stage3D and WebGL in the cube demo I get half more frames per second with WebGL.

Rendering 1000 cubes

Stage3D 15fps (openGL rendering)
      WebGL 30fps

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
        I've recently seen a video on YouTube entitled Web Browsers in Linux Suck. The guy was comparing the performance of web browsers in Windows to Ubuntu with tests from Internet Explorer 10 Test Drive.

The FishBowl test on Chrome Beta works much better if the "--ignore-gpu-blacklist" flag is set but I still get only about 60fps (with 10 and 25 fishes) and it's not smooth at all.
        Web Browsers in Linux Suck? No, Microsoft benchmark sucks. Check http://people.mozilla.org/~jmuizelaa...fishie-gl.html

Comment

Yeah Microsoft benchmarks sucks!

That's what I thought when viewing the video. Why would anybody look at Microsoft benchmarks desinged for IE.

With Mozilla demo running on Chrome Beta I get 35fps with 1000 fishes and still it's much smoother than the Microsoft benchmark with 10 or 25 fishes.

I've found some good demos of Stage3D. They are created with Minko a 3D framework for the web. Aerys company behind that technology already works on Minko 2 which supposedly will bring big performance improvements. The game they developed with it runs much better than Epic Citadel but it's also even less impressive graphically The Mirage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
            Should I even attempt to watch it?

Well, I did. Here are the important parts for people who don't want to spend that time:

1. Maybe I didn't hear it but I think he didn't say anything at all about his test setup. in one comments he says he has intel HD 3000.
            2. Firefox has no acceleration whatsoever in linux? I don't think so.
            3. Does the particle acceleration test even work correctly? In google chrome 23 I get steady 60 FPS with vblank_mode=0 and gpu vsync deactivated in chrome flags. DrawTime massively depends on the browser windows size. 4 ms for ~1024x768, 2-3 times as much when the browser is maximized on 1920x1080.
            On firefox nightly I get 3-4 FPS no matter what. That seems to be a particularily bad example.
            4. With chrome 23 I have 60 FPS with 250 fish in the fishbowl and 50 FPS with 500. Water looks fine.
            Firefox nightly: as in the video

My chrome on linux acceleration with the (still not very efficient) open source radeon driver is much better than his windows acceleration? Therefore: "Web Browsers in Linux Suck."

*loading a website from cache* "it's not my web connection!"
            *... disabled = true* "As you can see I did turn it on"
            "I've never actually got the fishbowl test to load under linux anyway so it's inferior" WAT

*It comes up so fast it's probably still from cache* "There you have it, linux is inerior when it comes to web browsers"

*obnoxious condescending laughing. Repeatedly*
            *more obnoxious laughing while calling the browsers on linux "garbage" and repeating that they fall short*

comment from video author: "YouTube videos if i go full screen the video is choppy in Linux and smooth in windows on the same hardware and browser."

If anything was "pathetic" than it was his presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by fernandoc1 View Post
              I had some issues with the demo.

We could join some problems and send them to Google, so they could properly fix them as fast as possible.

Here is what happens here:

My hardware is (info from chrome://gpu/):
              GPU0 VENDOR = 0x10de [NVIDIA Corporation], DEVICE= 0x0401 [GeForce 8600GT]
              Driver vendor NVIDIA
              Driver version 295.40
              Pixel shader version 3.30
              Vertex shader version 3.30
              GL version 3.3
              GL_RENDERER GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
              GL_VERSION 3.3.0 NVIDIA 295.40
              This because you didn't set "--ignore-gpu-blacklist" like the OP said. Otherwise it looks the same
              on my hardware. Not a bug.

Comment

Ok, last experiment. I installed FGLRX and... Epic Citadel is still slow. ~25 fps @ ~1280x720.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  This because you didn't set "--ignore-gpu-blacklist" like the OP said. Otherwise it looks the same
                  on my hardware. Not a bug.
                  Mmm, no luck even launching chromium with: chromium-browser --ignore-gpu-blacklist

Graphics Feature Status
                  Canvas: Hardware accelerated
                  Compositing: Hardware accelerated
                  3D CSS: Hardware accelerated
                  CSS Animation: Accelerated
                  WebGL: Hardware accelerated
                  WebGL multisampling: Hardware accelerated
                  Flash 3D: Hardware accelerated
                  Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
                  Texture Sharing: Hardware accelerated
                  Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
                  Video: Hardware accelerated
                  Panel Fitting: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration disabled.
                  Force Compositing Mode: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration disabled.
                  Problems Detected
                  Panel fitting is unavailable, either disabled at the command line or not supported by the current system.
                  Force compositing mode is off, either disabled at the command line or not supported by the current system.
                  Version Information
                  Data exported 27/2/2013 20:55:09
                  Chrome version 24.0.1312.56 (Build para desarrolladores 24.0.1312.56-0ubuntu0.12.04.1) Ubuntu 12.04
                  Operating system Linux 3.5.0-18-generic
                  Software rendering list version 0
                  ANGLE revision 1560
                  2D graphics backend Skia
                  Driver Information
                  Initialization time 91
                  Sandboxed false
                  GPU0 VENDOR = 0x10de [NVIDIA Corporation], DEVICE= 0x11c6 [Device 11c6]
                  Optimus false
                  AMD switchable false
                  Driver vendor NVIDIA
                  Driver version 310.14
                  Driver date
                  Pixel shader version 4.30
                  Vertex shader version 4.30
                  Machine model
                  GL version 4.3
                  GL_RENDERER GeForce GTX 650 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
                  GL_VERSION 4.3.0 NVIDIA 310.14

Comment

It does not work that way with newer chrome versions, but you can use a much simpler way via:

chrome://flags

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      It does not work that way with newer chrome versions, but you can use a much simpler way via:

chrome://flags
                      Ok, and wich flags I should change?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                      X