Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humble Indie Bundle V Runs Strong At $4M USD

Phoronix: Humble Indie Bundle V Runs Strong At $4M USD

With one week left to go, the latest Humble Indie Bundle continues selling at a record pace...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Worth it for amnesia alone

This is also the only game in the bundle that works on my pure 64 bit machine.

Comment

Not buying

It is pay-what-you-want, so I could get away with paying just $1, but I'm not even paying that.

I am not going to pay for proprietary software.
      If it were open source, I would pay.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        It is pay-what-you-want, so I could get away with paying just $1, but I'm not even paying that.

Humble bundles are not about open source

They are about indy games. If you like the games you buy them if not then you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Oh come on. Even Richard Stallman recognizes that works of art don't need to be released under a free software license. What are these games if not works of art?

Besides, it's not like most people (aside from large corporations) would have the manpower to take an open source game engine and really make use of it. Do you know OpenGL? No? Then why are you making a fuss?

Seriously, I'm a huge FSF zealot here and I'm all for proprietary games. I just don't like proprietary office suites, proprietary kernels, proprietary graphics drivers, proprietary media editors or players, or anything else that is truly genuinely useful and can usefully be modified by individuals (let alone corporations) to fix bugs or add personalized features.

This isn't the Humble Indie Bundle of generic games. The titles of the games aren't "Yet Another RTS", "Yet Another FPS", "Yet Another Platformer"; they don't come with generic graphics that are as lifeless as a Gnome theme and are absent a storyline; the opposite is true. The game engine is just a convenient method of delivery for the art that was created. Are you just saying you want them to be open source for the hell of it, or are you truly under the delusion that someone other than the original game developers would actually use the underlying engines of these games to create new games?

Comment

Not sure if it's been mentioned here at Phoronix yet (I get my tech sites confused at times), but Canonical has incorporated the Bundle into their Software Center for those running Ubuntu 12.04 and would prefer to get it that way.

I don't know how well it works (I heard it was kind of flaky), but it's a good first step probably.

Comment

as lifeless as a Gnome theme and are absent a storyline
              Implying Gnome does not cause the best drama. It's like the bold and the beautiful of linux.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                Oh come on. Even Richard Stallman recognizes that works of art don't need to be released under a free software license.
                It would be pretty useful to have the source code in order to make the games actually work and port them to unsupported systems. They would also be much easier to package and install since there would be no need to package libs?

Comment

Usually, the libs can be replaced with system libs, and it often works even better, as long as the versions are compatible. That said, open-source is nice for long-term maintainability (developers have a bad habit of abandoning closed-source games on Linux, leaving them incompatible as libs/apis change (re: NWN))

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Implying Gnome does not cause the best drama. It's like the bold and the beautiful of linux.
                    It causes drama for the wrong reasons.

The people responsible for the UI and the user experience must be castrated at least.

Comment

Working...
                    X