• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJenbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Detructor View Post
    what uid313 said.
    This isn't a hard news site, lighten ip and or skip the articals you doun't like

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    OK Michael, you made me laugh.

But I still like to think of Deus Ex-esque conspiracies in the software world.

Ballmer has to have a strategy for "embracing and extending" (or extinguishing) Linux. It's absolutely certain that a company that rich with that strong of a stance against free software has to be actively coming up with some subversive, probably illegal plan to get rid of the competition so they can retain market dominance. Or, if they don't want to get rid of it, they'll end up profiting from it somehow. What they're not doing is sitting idly by, watching Linux slowly erode their market share on the desktop and mobile fronts, and utterly own them on the server front.

Is Valve a part of Ballmer's grand plan? I have no idea, and I don't even want to speculate. But I do know that we shouldn't take the free desktop for granted, because people are working around the world to try and put a stop to it, or otherwise monetize it.
    what sandy8925 said is probably right, but note that unless someone goes and murders linus torvalds, linux isn't going anywhere. even if linus were killed, i'm sure he's got someone to replace him for future kernel updates, so him dying would just simply slow down production. microsoft can't single-handedly take down linux because nobody owns it. all they can do is discourage others from using it, such as the Secure Boot thing and it wouldn't surprise me if someone finds a hack around that within a few months after win8 is released.

anyways back to the topic, i think its great valve is giving all this linux attention but its not like this is revolutionary. its POTENTIALLY revolutionary but it isn't yet. i'm excited for this but i wouldn't be very disappointed if it never happened.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Ballmer has to have a strategy for "embracing and extending" (or extinguishing) Linux. It's absolutely certain that a company that rich with that strong of a stance against free software has to be actively coming up with some subversive, probably illegal plan to get rid of the competition so they can retain market dominance. Or, if they don't want to get rid of it, they'll end up profiting from it somehow. What they're not doing is sitting idly by, watching Linux slowly erode their market share on the desktop and mobile fronts, and utterly own them on the server front.

Is Valve a part of Ballmer's grand plan? I have no idea, and I don't even want to speculate. But I do know that we shouldn't take the free desktop for granted, because people are working around the world to try and put a stop to it, or otherwise monetize it.
    They already came up with Secure Boot. That's their plan.

Leave a comment:

• eXXz
    replied
    Microsoft is most certainly still undercutting free software and open standards whenever it can.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Fedora? OSS drivers? That doesn't sound like a viable console at all... So perhaps it's not a console?

Eh, MS is too busy to bother with that. They have more important things to do, such as, oh, shooting themselves in the foot.

Leave a comment:

• DebianLinuxero
    replied
    What an outfit!

Extrange shoes you have.

Are comfortable?

Leave a comment:

• allquixotic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Detructor
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Please stop posting pictures of beer and talk about beer and lederhosen.
    I come to this site to read about Linux, Unix, etc not beer and lederhosen.
    what uid313 said.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    some games will be free for the linux beta testers like "team fortress 2"!
    TF2 is free on Windows and OSX as well.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Beer

Please stop posting pictures of beer and talk about beer and lederhosen.
    I come to this site to read about Linux, Unix, etc not beer and lederhosen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X