Rage Linux Port Is Not Likely Until 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I have a question for you all. If Rage is a console game, then how come the PS3 and XBOX versions have the exact same texture pop-in issues? Explain that please :-)
    Because these noobs decided not to waste 21GB of HDD space and want it to run right of the disc...

There is an option to install it to the HDD.

Comment

rage runs even better in wine with ati catalyst drivers than it does in windows.
      i tryed many different drivers in windows but all i get is 10 sec freeze of the game and 1 sec its running fine then 10 sec freeze and so goes it on and on. under wine it runs really smooth, but the texture poping is the issue and some random crashes from time to time.

Comment

A patch has landed.

All glitches (crashing, yerking, texture misplacement, freezes, etc.) and popping are now gone!

There is a v-sync option on the options menu, as well as an option to set the cache size to large. This game now runs very smoothly and without problems.

There is popping in places you haven't looked at, but after the first turn around; the popping is gone.

There are some textures that do not load in time, but they stay very low and pop in a little later without being extremely annoying.

--

Time to finaly play this game. The gameplay is awesome

Comment

Nah, the patch didn't fix anything here. The freezes were still there. The patch notes mentioned that with AMD GPUs and dual core CPUs, one must set "jobs_numThreads 0" which I did. This fixed the freeze issue. But now the game runs with 60FPS for 3 seconds, then with 10FPS for another 3, then 60 again, etc. (All other settings, like vsync, cache size, tripple buffering, don't matter.)

id blames AMD's drivers. Buying this game is on hold for now until id or AMD or both get their act together.

Comment

Nah, the patch didn't fix anything here. The freezes were still there. The patch notes mentioned that with AMD GPUs and dual core CPUs, one must set "jobs_numThreads 0" which I did. This fixed the freeze issue. But now the game runs with 60FPS for 3 seconds, then with 10FPS for another 3, then 60 again, etc. (All other settings, like vsync, cache size, tripple buffering, don't matter.)

id blames AMD's drivers. Buying this game is on hold for now until id or AMD or both get their act together.
            Here's what I did:

-Patch;
            -Install Rage hotfix 11.10 driver (the new one, because the old Rage fix had old OpenGL files in it); <- so just redownload
            -Default everything in the driver, especialy OpenGL triple buffering!; <- just ram "default" in CCC and hit "Apply.
            -Remove RageConfig.cfg;
            -Remove all launch options;
            -Make sure you have 64bit Windows OS, because of large page cache;
            -In Rage menu (ingame) set native resolution, put everything on off/low (and then I mean everything, so no AA either), enable v-sync and put cache on "large";
            -Play.

Everything is fixed.

How can you patch, when you don't have it through Steam? Or is it some Steam hack?

PS: The freeze is probably the GPU recovery! So that means bugs.
            Last edited by V!NCENT; 09 October 2011, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Wow, QA at id must be awful these days.
              Hard to believe they didn't come across the AMD driver issues before releasing the game.
              IIRC, id games used to be performance hogs when released but not buggy piles of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Here's what I did:

-Patch;
                -Install Rage hotfix 11.10 driver (the new one, because the old Rage fix had old OpenGL files in it); <- so just redownload
                -Default everything;
                -Remove RageConfig.cfg;
                -Remove all launch options;
                -Make sure you have 64bit Windows OS, because of large page cache;
                -In Rage menu (ingame) set native resolution, put everything on off/low (and then I mean everything, so no AA either), enable v-sync and put cache on "large";
                -Play.

Everything is fixed.
                You're on a Core 2 Duo? Because I did all the above and it doesn't help.

How can you patch, when you don't have it through Steam? Or is it some Steam hack?
                It's cracked with all DRM and protections removed.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
                  I'm having the same problem. I tried many suggested workarounds, but nothing worked :/
                  The last thing I tried was using wine (Ubuntu 11.10 64) - and it ran Oo. But now, when I exit the Ark it crashes :S
                  have you tried to play with xp x64 ? it is still 1 pc out of 2 ;']
                  win7 is really bullshit with all games while xp is real good . i have better pings and fps with xp x64 than w7 x64 .

i will install rage and play it tomorrow , i ll post about gameplay with this os

Comment

You're on a Core 2 Duo? Because I did all the above and it doesn't help.
                    Haven't tested it on my quad-core AMD Phenom 9950 yet, but I had the exact same issues with my quad-core Intel i3 on my laptop.

The problem I didn't have with my i3 and I did have with my Phenom, was the crashing between levels. For some reason all other issues came to my laptop as well.

It's cracked with all DRM and protections removed.
                    Er... there is a Steam-less patch for the cracked version? Can't be good, no matter how one looks at it :P

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      Er... there is a Steam-less patch for the cracked version? Can't be good, no matter how one looks at it :P
                      It even appeared only a few hours after the patch came out :-P

Comment

Working...
                      X