No announcement yet.

Rage Linux Port Is Not Likely Until 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice looking shotgun Who needs advanced configuration, it has config file for that. Or are these windows players so gui spoiled that they don't know how to configure with text files...

@cl333r it uses opengl.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      I wonder if it's using OpenGL or DirectX in Window$?
      Supposedly, OpenGL, and I'm guessing that's where most problems are coming from -- no other game has ever pushed OpenGL so far.

Comment

As long as they're still considering it for Linux, I'm really happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          I heard the game sucks terribly on Windows.
          You heard wrong. It sucks terribly on Windows, Xbox360 and PS3, actually. And just technical glitches but weak story, lack of immersion, totally pointless questing. The works.

Comment

I guess I will wait until 2012 to buy a copy for running on Linux. Maybe it will be in the bargain bin at big box mart by then.

Comment

Download latest driver: texture popping gone.

The game isn't graphicaly intensive. The problem is with very low level per-pixel-texture-lookup.

Older drivers simply have a killing latency. Rage wasn't going to be released for the PC because of that, but AMD and nVidia sure as hell wanted it, so driver update came. Want to know why they cancelled the Mac version?

Same goes for the open source drivers. Carmack said that he doesn't care for raw calculation power, but for raw speed (which means as close as possible to zero latency). It's cool that you can have a couple of fancy pants effects at 20fps, but game makers want 60fps, and go from there. Not the other way around.

So if you want to be able to run Rage on FLOSS drivers, people better get working on the latency that the drivers cause, not speed. Hell... Carmack praised Intel onboard crap higher than Radeon and GeForce, simply because of the drivers and not because of the raw polygon and shader power.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                Supposedly, OpenGL, and I'm guessing that's where most problems are coming from -- no other game has ever pushed OpenGL so far.
                Ahem:

The "Perpetual Testing Initiative" has been expanded to allow you to design co-op puzzles for you and your friends!

Both Valve and Paragon Studios have already pushed OpenGL 3.x games out into the market.

Anyways, most of the problems, so far, seem to be more from an unfinished game than anything else. The impression I'm getting is that ZeniMax told ID-Software to just get the game out the door.

The tech behind the game is interesting though. It will be interesting to see what else can be done with the engine.

Speaking for myself, I won't be buying Rage until there is a Linux client.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  You heard wrong. It sucks terribly on Windows, Xbox360 and PS3, actually. And just technical glitches but weak story, lack of immersion, totally pointless questing. The works.
                  Actually, the right answer is: mixed reviews.
                  Main problem? People expected "Fallout 3 + John Carmack's engine"... What was iD's last game with a deep storyline again?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    Download latest driver: texture popping gone.

The game isn't graphicaly intensive. The problem is with very low level per-pixel-texture-lookup.

Older drivers simply have a killing latency. Rage wasn't going to be released for the PC because of that, but AMD and nVidia sure as hell wanted it, so driver update came. Want to know why they cancelled the Mac version?

Same goes for the open source drivers. Carmack said that he doesn't care for raw calculation power, but for raw speed (which means as close as possible to zero latency). It's cool that you can have a couple of fancy pants effects at 20fps, but game makers want 60fps, and go from there. Not the other way around.

So if you want to be able to run Rage on FLOSS drivers, people better get working on the latency that the drivers cause, not speed. Hell... Carmack praised Intel onboard crap higher than Radeon and GeForce, simply because of the drivers and not because of the raw polygon and shader power.
                    Speaking of the open source driver; Today was the first time I was able to fully run the WebGL Conformance Test without the fox jumping of the cliff. Results: (6773 of 7833 passed) which is a lot better than having to forcibly restart the browser. I would say the driver is progressing quite fast, although it would have been good with a bit more speed.

Comment

A news item and video at Tom's Hardware indicates many problems. Nothing on the Wine AppDB yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X