The First Image Of Desura Running On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    lets turn this whole thread into an anti-DRM trollfest which has nothing to do with the original article.

I certainly never get tired of reading those.
    The whole thread is already about DRM anyway, that's what steam-like things are. If all you want is some licensing server somewhere telling you if you can use software you paid for or not, you could use Windows and have done with it. Why do they bring this crap to free operating systems? (It's probably because of Macbuntu)

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
      DRM'd gaming platform for Linux.

Linux Game Publishing already had one...

I've never bought anything from them because I don't do DRM, and I think people who pay for software with DRM are encouraging more bad behavior later on. The company figures "We got away with this, let's do this *and* that next time".
      You must be new to Linux because LGP only introduced copy protection less than 3 years ago. All their titles released before that date don't have copy protection, and all the recent ones have (AFAIR, since their site has been down for me for months, even their blog, though Google cache shows they updated it in May). Not saying it's great, since unlike what they hoped when they implemented it I'm not sure we can see that it really allowed them to score new ports rights with publishers... but at least they didn't have DRM for a long time when the Windows games industry had already gone completely over the top with DRM.

Comment

Have you even used Steam ?

DRM is bad if only it restricts users. You can still run all the games you have on steam in offline mode , you get access to all of the game's files, you can run the games on as many PC's/MAC's you want.

DRM is not entirely a bad thing, but it's just that nowadays it's mostly used to screw consumers, Ubisoft and others.

Whilst it only makes one good exclusive title to make a distribution service needed, fragmentation is a bitch.

And all that BS about Valve being in the business for money? The duck are you on about ? They've been updating Team Fortress 2 for over 3 years now and they haven't been asking a dime for it. They constantly update their games, like HL2, CS:S, DoD:S so that they are running on the latest engines. Gabe Newell already has enough money, that's why he created Valve in the first place.
        Last edited by nevertell; 29 May 2011, 06:11 AM.

Comment

DRM is bad if only it restricts users.
          Mm-hmm. And I suppose if you have nothing to hide, you have no need for privacy?
          That's the exact same argument.

On topic:
          In general I will not use a single one of these distribution platforms. They are all about DRM, phoning home and keeping control, so if a game is only available via one, then I simply won't buy it.

Comment

I never used Steam, but I did use Stardock (apparently now Impulse) years ago. They were claiming to be DRM-free so I installed it and it worked fine. I actually liked the system.

But according to Wikipedia they are not completely DRM-free anymore:
            "Stardock has agreed to publish some games containing certain less intrusive versions of SecuROM on Impulse"

I wonder if I could still download the games I bought and copy them to Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Mm-hmm. And I suppose if you have nothing to hide, you have no need for privacy?
              That's the exact same argument.

On topic:
              In general I will not use a single one of these distribution platforms. They are all about DRM, phoning home and keeping control, so if a game is only available via one, then I simply won't buy it.
              You don't know much about Desura, do you?

I think you might TECHNICALLY be able to consider Desura DRM. You DO have to log in to have it download or update the game for you. But after that? You could literally uninstall Desura AND STILL PLAY ALL OF THE GAMES YOU HAVE.

Yeah, that really sounds like "phoning home" and "keeping control".

I'm not sure if they allow DRM from the game makers themselves or not. But if they do, your issues should be with whoever made the game, not with the guy you're buying it from.

Comment

Working...
              X