Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Image Of Desura Running On Linux

Phoronix: The First Image Of Desura Running On Linux

As pointed out in our forums, the first screenshot of Desura running on Linux has emerged. Desura is a digital distribution service that's similar to Valve's Steam service, but at this point is primarily used by indie game developers and game mods...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nobody needs this. There is no point of a distribution system that has just a few products to distribute.

The point of steam is that it's widely used.

Comment

It only needs one popular title that other distribution systems do not have to become "needed".

Anyway, I think it's good to have some competition.

Comment

Bring on the competition, especially if they shun DRM and advocate Linux. Can't say the same about Valve.

RE: TFA, I would say that Desura will come to Linux long before Valve. I think Valve will come to Linux eventually (if the year of the Linux desktop ever comes, Valve will join us shortly thereafter), but they don't strike me as early adopters. They just want to make a bunch of money, nothing more. They don't value freedom or alternatives or anything but the almighty dollar. The dollar will bring people to our platform eventually, but at this early stage, your primary motivation has to be something like "I support underdogs!" or "I value freedom!" -- the money's just not there.

Comment

Like allquixotic said! I share his/her views.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
            Bring on the competition, especially if they shun DRM and advocate Linux. Can't say the same about Valve.

RE: TFA, I would say that Desura will come to Linux long before Valve. I think Valve will come to Linux eventually (if the year of the Linux desktop ever comes, Valve will join us shortly thereafter), but they don't strike me as early adopters. They just want to make a bunch of money, nothing more. They don't value freedom or alternatives or anything but the almighty dollar. The dollar will bring people to our platform eventually, but at this early stage, your primary motivation has to be something like "I support underdogs!" or "I value freedom!" -- the money's just not there.
            This is one of the most informed and insightful posts I have ever seen on these forums.

Comment

If one or more major titles get ported as part of this, then this would help a lot, like C&C 3, Battlefield etc. But I'll wait and see before I get my hopes up.

Anyway, more competition will drive more attention to GNU/Linux game development.

Comment

It's likely Steam will be released before Desura.

Comment

DRM'd gaming platform for Linux.

Linux Game Publishing already had one...

I've never bought anything from them because I don't do DRM, and I think people who pay for software with DRM are encouraging more bad behavior later on. The company figures "We got away with this, let's do this *and* that next time".

EA's DRM getting more and more abusive as time goes on kind of confirms that I am right. EA bans people from their forum who complain that the DRM has ruined their ability to install the game they bought. I will never buy from companies who do this, because I don't care what their software does or how neat it is.

Of course "Not buying == piracy" in these companies minds. More DRM encourages more piracy *and also* more people like me who refuse to buy things from them. It seems that they're all so blinded by greed that they'll never stop to think that they're shrinking their own pool of paying customers via abuse.

Comment

Oh great

lets turn this whole thread into an anti-DRM trollfest which has nothing to do with the original article.

I certainly never get tired of reading those.

Comment

Working...
                    X