Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Arena 2011 Is Coming Next Week

Phoronix: Alien Arena 2011 Is Coming Next Week

John Diamond, the lead developer of the open-source Alien Arena game, has emailed in tipping us off that Alien Arena 2011 will be released next week. Alien Arena is a science-fiction first person shooter game that's powered by a modified id Tech 2 game engine. We first reported on Alien Arena 2011 in October when talking about some of the planned features we were informed of, but as of next week it will be available to all Linux gamers (and those on Windows too) as an early Christmas present -- it was just in May that Alien Arena 2010 was released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sorry to say, but the maps in the trailer are a copy/paste of some of the most famous UT2004 maps.

Comment

Sauerbraten is quite nice (and the next Sauerbraten update will include significant graphics updates btw.), but the Quake clone I always loved the most was Nexuiz and its successor Xonotic is shaping up fantastic. A first pre-release will be here by the beginning of 2011.

Comment

alien arena is based on ut2004?

Comment

Nice. Always had a soft spot for AA. Only complaint I have till now is that the maps always feel claustrophobic. Good game to kill some time; too bad most of the servers are filled with bots at the times I'm able to play.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
            Sorry to say, but the maps in the trailer are a copy/paste of some of the most famous UT2004 maps.
            Actually, of the six maps shown, only one has any influence/resemblance to a UT2004 map. And even that one has signifigant differences in design. Not trying to argue with you, just pointing this inaccuracy out so that people don't get the wrong idea.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Sauerbraten is quite nice (and the next Sauerbraten update will include significant graphics updates btw.), but the Quake clone I always loved the most was Nexuiz and its successor Xonotic is shaping up fantastic. A first pre-release will be here by the beginning of 2011.
              I agree that those games are very nice, but quite honestly, I find it to be poor form to try and redirect people from this game in such a fashion. If you want to talk about those games, it would be a little more polite to start a new thread. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                This really kind of bugs me, so I would like to discuss it a bit further.

The first map shown, Dm-annihilation, bears no resemblance to *any* ut2004 map at all. It *does* have a resemblance to a UT3 map, in one particular area, but the layout is completely different, and the other areas have no resemblance, so hardly a "cut and paste". The second map, Dm-deathray, has absolutely no resemblance, and no influence to any map from any game whatsoever. Again, the third map shown, Dm-warmachine has no resemblance to any map from any game. The fourth map shown, Dm-chasmatic bears a bit of a resemblance to Dm-Gael, which is probably what you're basing your comment on. The fifth map, has a single room that was inspired by a UT3 map, but again, layout utterly different. I believe the sixth map shown, the one in the snow covered area, has no resemblance to any UT map, other than maybe it's in the snow. The seventh map shown, in the tight, wire infested corridors, has no resemblance to any UT2004 map I've ever known.

Anyway, no hard feelings, just wanted to make some things clear. Peace.

Comment

Looking forward to this release. The atmosphere in the game and its humor are quite unique. What other game has a map with a complete and working alien-soldier-assembly machinery?

Comment

Originally posted by SavageX View Post
                    Looking forward to this release. The atmosphere in the game and its humor are quite unique. What other game has a map with a complete and working alien-soldier-assembly machinery?
                    Quake 4...

But other than that the trailer seems like fun

Comment

Working...
                    X