Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can The Unigine Engine Get Any Better? Yes, And It Has.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enderandrew View Post
    And quite frankly, if you're trying to make the best FOSS shooter out there, why wouldn't you consider porting your game to this engine?
    Probably because Unigine is not FOSS. It's a propriatary closed source engine.

Comment

Proprietary third party titles is something the Linux gaming scene needs desperately.
      Look at Symbian; It runs on far more devices than Android or iPhone, yet the lack of any third party applications make it a much less desirable platform than the competition (or at least that is one aspect of why it's slowly failing).

Comment

It was the lack of apps? I always thought it was the usability. Compared to Symbian, Blender and Gimp are a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          It was the lack of apps? I always thought it was the usability. Compared to Symbian, Blender and Gimp are a dream.
          To tell you the truth I think your the first person that I have ever heard complaining about Symbians "usability".

Comment

Really? Even here, the promised land of Nokia, it's a very common topic.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Really? Even here, the promised land of Nokia, it's a very common topic.
              Yes really, the nokia's that I had ran Symbian and usability was never an issue.

Comment

Guy's, that's just supposed to be an example. Point I was trying to make is that although Symbian is a technically sound product, it's lack of interest in what it's user base wants contributes greatly to it's failure.

I wanted to say that Unigine being propietary is not a bad thing.
                This kinda gives me idea: What if Unigine can provide a free mod SDK, or if we can convince them to, so that people can freely create games on their engine. You know how people create entire games based of UT2004 or Half Life 2, well maybe people could remake games like tremulous on the Unigine engine.
                I think this would be beneficial: those games and Unigine get some publicity, and Unigine gets some real world testing so that it can be improved.

Comment

Originally posted by superppl View Post
                  This kinda gives me idea: What if Unigine can provide a free mod SDK, or if we can convince them to, so that people can freely create games on their engine. You know how people create entire games based of UT2004 or Half Life 2, well maybe people could remake games like tremulous on the Unigine engine.
                  I think this would be beneficial: those games and Unigine get some publicity, and Unigine gets some real world testing so that it can be improved.
                  I think you would have to see some AAA+ games being developed on Unigine before that would ever happen. Right now as it stands the licensing of Unigine is their only source of revenue. I think they want to get some financial return before that would ever happen.

Comment

Right, but as it stands, interest in Unigine is very limited. Perhaps they can distribute a full SDK with Oil Rush, so that way they can make some money of sales.

Comment

What Unigine needs is more completed games.

Comment

Working...
                      X