Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's hyperbolic.

Originally posted by curfew View Post
    I'm almost offended by the fact you consider most of the Linux users as retards who wouldn't turn off compositing just because the OS doesn't do it for them automaticly. Neither does Windows always turn off Aero upon running a 3D application (game). Then you just have to do it manually, simple as that.

What I'd like to see less around here is the Gnome-like philosophy of "our users are idiots".
    I assume you are speaking about the perceived lack of options in Gnome?
    The explanation has two aspects: 1. lots of options = your gui is not well done, 2. the less options, the less code to maintain.

I am not saying that KDE has a bad gui, but simply stating the reasoning as I understand it.

Now, even a great gui presumably doesn't suit everyone, but, similar to graphics drivers, you get diminishing returns the more you try to do with the gui (i.e., you are only offering features for a relatively small number of people, so they are ignored). Gnome has very limited resources so it tries to focus its efforts in what it sees as the best way. Unfortunately this means that some things get removed that are quite useful, but the devs think otherwise, and, well, they are writing the code.
    As I said in an earlier post, Gnomers are like cats.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
      Also World of Warcraft plays reasonably well... 3d Performance isnt as good as Windows but on thing I have noticed is that my latency is considerably lower when I play under Wine/Linux compared to Windows.
      I have to go back to Windows to play WoW raids at a correct frame rate. I used to think it was due to some poor usage of OpenGL by Blizzard but given that OS X users don't get the slowdowns I have in raid, I can only conclude Wine is the issue.

Comment

Good article.

One thing I didn't get was why not use the latest Nvidia driver - 256.44 for Linux ?

If you were to use the Nvidia diver pre-installed with Windows - i.e if you did a new install - not OEM / rescue disk - you would only get D3D no opengl support from the MS supported driver.... - you need to install the proper nvidia driver in Windows to get openGL support.

In my experience openGL games are always faster on Linux - Prey, ETQW, Doom3, Nexuiz, etc all benchmark faster i Linux (Arch) than windows.

I always use AMD CPU's though (never Intel) so that may be partly responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
          From http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Getting_started

If that is incorrect perhaps you could change the page?

Best/Liam
          Nothing incorrect.

If you refer to this: http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Getting_started#Windows it just says that if you fall to windows default opengl library, you actually get a software rasterizer built upon direct3D component.
          OpenGL32.dll (the software rasterizer) does nothing when you install a proprietary driver with a proprietary opengl implementation.
          The proof is also the fact that you don't need an update for the operating system to support newer OpenGL specifications, but you need just a proprietary driver update.

Comment

*** Nexuiz: 'normal' preset
            *** Drivers: auto settings
            Windows: 48 -- 26 | 40 | 67
            Linux: 30 -- 38 | 67 | 121 ??? This must've been a Nexuiz preset mismatch, insane difference.

Short: Linux won every benchmark. I ran all the benchmarks 2-3 times and the differences were minimal and nothing was left for interpretations.
            Does anyone know the reason for Windows weak performance despite having the whole gaming industry behind it for decades? I expected the opposite results to say the least. Could it be bad design?

Comment

Sorry, I misread your post.

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
              Nothing incorrect.

If you refer to this: http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Getting_started#Windows it just says that if you fall to windows default opengl library, you actually get a software rasterizer built upon direct3D component.
              OpenGL32.dll (the software rasterizer) does nothing when you install a proprietary driver with a proprietary opengl implementation.
              The proof is also the fact that you don't need an update for the operating system to support newer OpenGL specifications, but you need just a proprietary driver update.
              You said "had" and I thought "did". Regardless, since I couldn't find any reputable source that said Windows had to use Direct3D (at some level) it seems as though I was wrong.

However, I want to assure you that such ignorance will never again be displayed by me, as I take it upon myself to fall upon my sword!

Best/Liam

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                I assume you are speaking about the perceived lack of options in Gnome?
                The explanation has two aspects: 1. lots of options = your gui is not well done, 2. the less options, the less code to maintain.

I am not saying that KDE has a bad gui, but simply stating the reasoning as I understand it.
                KDE has a bad GUI (most of the dialogs) but it's not due to lots of options, just weak interface designers. See Apple Mac OS X for a better example.

Comment

KDE has a bad GUI (most of the dialogs) but it's not due to lots of options, just weak interface designers. See Apple Mac OS X for a better example.
                  To continue this offtopic, I add that Amarok 2 a is better example of too many functionality in a single interface (main window). Although that could be made a bit better, too, with better designing.

Comment

The entire selling point of AmaroK is that it is such a capable music 'jukebox'.

What you're probably aiming at is the 'visual noice' of all the button and icons, etc. There is a presentation of the KDE Academy 2010 on YouTube about the user interface design inconsistancies in KDE 4.4 and more specificaly the lack of UI patterns acros the SC spectrum of applications. Those should have been adressed at least partialy in SC 4.5.

So don't worry; it has acknowledged and it is being worked on

Comment

Originally posted by Togga View Post
                      Does anyone know the reason for Windows weak performance despite having the whole gaming industry behind it for decades? I expected the opposite results to say the least. Could it be bad design?
                      Windows was never considered as a fast operating system in any kind of job.

Comment

Working...
                      X